Prepare for Move-out
Schedule a move-out appointment
All students should schedule a move-out appointment. Starting April 1, appointments can be scheduled by selecting "Move Out Appointment" from the top gold bar on your MyCULiving portal.
When possible, students should select an appointment time by Thursday, April 22.
Appointments will be offered between April 23 and May 6 (residence halls) and May 7 (Bear Creek).
- Mail keys should be returned to The UPS Store location where your box is located.
- Textbooks can be returned or sold back to the CU Book Store.
Clean your space
- Students should return their room to the original move-in condition before moving out. Follow the steps outlined in the cleaning checklist to minimize any damage charges. Specific attention should be given to the following:
- Windows are closed and locked
- Drapes closed
- Micro-fridges are cleaned and set to low (residence hall students only)
- Trash and recycling is moved from the building
- Lights turned off
- Room door completely closed and locked
Donate unwanted items
- To alleviate stress during move-out, students may wish to donate things to an off campus vendor prior to their departure, and should consider taking unwanted items home if they are visiting family prior to move-out.
- Starting April 12, donation locations will be available in residence halls to collect unopened non-perishable foods, unwanted books and school supplies, and unused toiletries, hygiene products and cleaning supplies. Due to the pandemic, we are unable to collect soft-goods such as bedding, pillows, towels, etc.
- Contact the Environmental Center or email firstname.lastname@example.org to donate a bike or to place it in storage on campus for the summer.
- If students have vapes or other hazardous tobacco products that they need to dispose of, designated vape disposal locations are available in the UMC and the Village Center.
Complete a monitoring appointment
Getting tested before traveling is crucial to helping prevent the spread of the virus and protect the health of those around you. Students are strongly encouraged to complete a COVID-19 monitoring test 48 to 72 hours before traveling. Those who are traveling should review and follow all airline and destination requirements for traveling, testing and quarantine.
On Move-Out Day
Complete your checkout process with a staff member
At the time of the student's scheduled move-out appointment, students will meet a staff member at their hall's Community Center.
A staff member will accompany the student to their room to complete a quick visual check of the space. During this check, staff will verify that all personal belongings are removed from the room and that the space has been cleaned.
Students will sign a Room Condition Form indicating that they have removed all personal items, and that they agree to the damage appeal process timeline.
Deactivate your Buff OneCard
After completion of the room walkthrough, the student will return to the community center for their residence hall to check out and to have their Buff OneCard deactivated. The checkout is not completed until building access has been removed from the students Buff OneCard.
Staff will do a thorough walkthrough of each room several days following the students departure. During this time, staff will assess the condition of all university property and will document any necessary charges.
If there are any damage charges, or cleaning fees, students will receive an email to their colorado.edu email address within two weeks. If a student believes that they have been incorrectly accessed a damage charge, appeals must be submitted to their hall director in writing no later than May 28, 2021. Appeals after May 28, 2021 will not be considered.
To help ensure the ongoing safety of our community additional safety measures have been put into place.
- Between April 23 and May 7, students are permitted to have up to one guest in their room for up to two hours to support their move-out.
- To help reduce gathering in lobbies, all students in the residence halls and Bear Creek are required to pre-schedule a move-out appointment.
- Staff will not be completing a thorough check for damages until 72 hours after the last occupant of the room vacates the space. Damage charges will be emailed to the student's colorado.edu email address two weeks following move-out.
- Students are highly encouraged to complete COVID-19 monitoring on campus between 48-72 hours before their departure. Doing so helps prevent spread in the community.
Mailbox Key Return
- Students should return the mailbox key to the UPS Store® (where the student’s mailbox is located) during their operating hours, and bring their Buff OneCard.
- Failure to return the key will result in a $45.00 lock change fee.
- A lock change fee will be assessed if the mailbox key is not returned to the UPS Store® within seven days of moving out.
- Students should plan ahead to return their mailbox key during hours that the UPS Store is open.
- For students who do not return the key before leaving campus:
- Use a bubble mailer (or other thick envelope) - keys can tear through regular paper envelopes.
- Include a note with the key with your name, mailbox number and hall.
- Send to:
The UPS Store
Attn: Key Return
2480 Kittredge Loop Dr.
Boulder, CO 80310
- Students sending the key back by mail must have the parcel arrive by the 7th day following their departure.
- Lost key fees cannot be disputed once they have been posted to the students account.
Change of Address
Students’ USPS mail will automatically be forwarded to their permanent address on file for 90 days. To have mail forwarded to another address, students can submit a request two ways:
- Go the UPS Store® (where the student receives mail) and speak directly with one of the front counter associates, OR
- Send the UPS Store® an email at email@example.com with the student’s full name and new address. In the subject line, write: Change of Address
UPS will forward all first-class mail and parcels for 90 days. Pre-sorted standard and non-profit mail will be recycled. If a student receives mail from carriers other than USPS (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.) they will be notified via their Colorado.edu email address with the following options:
- Pay to have the package forwarded to the student’s address
- Pick up the package at The UPS Store
- Have the package returned to sender
If no action is taken, the package will automatically be returned to sender within several weeks of being received by The UPS Store.
The UPS Store® locations at CU Boulder offer a storage program for all returning students both on and off-campus. This program offers a variety of sizes and options for your selection. As the preferred partner for campus, The UPS Store® makes it simple. They provide a box—you fill it up and return it to one of their stores on campus. They seal it, store it for the summer off-site in a climate-controlled, secured warehouse and have it awaiting your return for pick-up. The items will be available at your choice of on-campus locations at a convenient time during move-in.
For additional information or to secure your summer storage, please visit usummerstorage.com or call 303-442-2601 ext. 101.
The UPS Store® locations at CU Boulder offer everything you need for shipping. Let the certified packing experts help you select from our competitively priced shipping options and variety of packaging materials. Their certified packaging experts are great resources for fragile and high-end items. Every item they pack comes with their Pack and Ship Guarantee: If we pack it and ship it, it's 100% guaranteed!
Vendor Support During Move-Out
Students are welcome to contract with any vendor of their choosing to support the storage, moving or shipment of their personal items. However, to help ensure the safety of our community, no vendor is permitted to enter the residence halls to pack or remove students' belongings.
Some vendors do offer services where students are able to load packaged items into moving trucks in residence hall parking lots. Vendors are welcome to work with students, so long as they remain outside of the residence halls and have secured appropriate permissions from CU Boulder Parking Services.