Publications can also be seen in my Google Scholar profile (my maiden name is Marina E. Quadros). Please contact me to request reprints.
Vance group members are shown in bold. Corresponding authors are marked by asterisk*.
Submitted and In Review
- Patel, S*, D Rim, S Sankhyan, ME Vance*. “Dynamics Modeling and Estimation of Emission Rates sub-500 nm Particles During the HOMEChem Study.” Submitted and in review.
- Mattila, JM, C Arata, A Abeleira, Y Zhou, C Wang, EF Katz, AH Goldstein, JPD Abbatt, PF DeCarlo, ME Vance, DK Farmer*. "Contrasting chemical complexity of indoor and outdoor reactive organic carbon." Submitted and in review.
44. Sankhyan, S, S Patel, EF Katz, PF DeCarlo, DK Farmer, WW Nazaroff, ME Vance*. “Indoor black and brown carbon from cooking activities and outdoor penetration: Insights from the HOMEChem study.” Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, Accepted. doi.org/10.1039/D1EM00283J
43. Sankhyan, S, K Heinselman, P Ciesielski, T Barnes, M Himmel, H Teed, S Patel, ME Vance*. “Filtration performance of masks and face coverings and the reusability of cotton masks after repeated washing and drying cycles.” Aerosol and Air Quality Research. Accepted. doi.org/10.4209/aaqr.210117
Published in 2021
42. Stockman, T, S Zhu, A Kumar, L Wang, S Patel, J Weaver, M Spede, D Milton, JR Hertzberg, DW Toohey, ME Vance, J Srebbric, SL Miller*. Measurements and Simulations of Aerosol Released while Singing and Playing Wind Instruments. ACS Environmental Au. Accepted. doi.org/10.1021/acsenvironau.1c00007
41. Arata, C, PK Misztal, Y Tian, DM Lunderberg, K Kristensen, ME Vance, DK Farmer, WW Nazaroff, AH Goldstein*. “Volatile Organic Compound Emissions During HOMEChem”. Indoor Air, 2021, 00:1–19. doi.org/10.1111/ina.12906
40. Boedicker, E, E Emerson, G McMeeking, S Patel, ME Vance, DK Farmer*. “Fates and spatial variations of submicron indoor particles during HOMEChem cooking events”. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 2021. doi.org/10.1039/D1EM00087J
39. Hayes, A, J Osio-Norgaard, S Miller, G Whiting,* ME Vance*. "Air Pollutant Emissions from Multi Jet Fusion, Material-jetting, and Digital Light Synthesis Commercial 3D Printers in a Service Bureau". Building and Environment, 2021. doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2021.108008
38. Katz, EF, E Boedicker, WL Brown, P Campuzano-Jost, DA Day, DK Farmer, AH Goldstein, H Guo, L Hildebrandt Ruiz, JL Jimenez, DM Lunderberg, S Patel, K Patel, ME Vance, PF DeCarlo*. “Quantification of cooking organic aerosol in the indoor environment using Aerodyne aerosol mass spectrometers”. Aerosol Science & Technology, 2021. doi.org/10.1080/02786826.2021.1931013
37. Hayes, A, J Osio-Norgaard, S Miller, M Vance*, G Whiting*. “Influence of Powder Type on Aerosol Emissions in Powder-Binder Jetting with Emphasis on Lunar Regolith for In-Situ Space Applications." Environmental Science & Technology Engineering, 2021, 1(2): 183-191. doi.org/10.1021/acsestengg.0c00045
36. Brown, W, Day, D, Stark, H, Pagonis, D, Krechmer, J, Liu, X, Price, D, Katz, E, DeCarlo, PF, Masoud, C, Wang, D, Hildebrandt Ruiz, L, Arata, C, Lunderberg, D, Goldstein, A, Farmer, DK, Vance, ME, Jimenez, JK. “Real-time organic aerosol chemical speciation in the indoor environment using extractive electrospray ionization mass spectrometry.” Indoor Air, 2021, 31 (1): 141–155. doi.org/10.1111/ina.12721
35. Tian, Y, C Arata, E Boedicker, DM Lunderberg, S Patel, S Sankhyan, K Kristensen, PK Misztal, DK Farmer, ME Vance, A Novoselac, WW Nazaroff, AH Goldstein. “Indoor Emissions of Total and Fluorescent Supermicron Particles during HOMEChem.” Indoor Air, 2021, 31 (1): 88–98. doi.org/10.1111/ina.12731
Published in 2020
34. Wang, C, B Bottorff, E Reidy, C Rosales, D Collins, A Novoselac, DK Farmer, ME Vance, P Stevens, J Abbatt*. “Cooking, bleach cleaning and air conditioning strongly impact levels of HONO in a house.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2020, 54 (21): 13488-13497. doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c05356
33. Ault, AP, VH Grassian, N Carslaw, DB Collins, H Destaillats, DJ Donaldson, DK Farmer, JL Jimenez, VF McNeill, GC Morrison, RE O'Brien, M Shiraiwa, ME Vance, JR Wells, W Xiong. “Indoor Surface Chemistry: Developing a Molecular Picture of Reactions on Indoor Interfaces.” Chem, 2020, 6(12): 3203-3218. doi.org/10.1016/j.chempr.2020.08.023
32. Or, VW, M Wade, S Patel, MR Alves, D Kim, S Schwab, H Przelomski, R O’Brien, D Rim, RL Corsi, ME Vance, DK Farmer, VH Grassian*. “Glass Surface Evolution Following Gas Adsorption and Particle Deposition from Indoor Cooking Events as Probed by Microspectroscopic Imaging and Characterization.” Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts, 2020, 22, 1698-1709. doi.org/10.1039/D0EM00156B
31. Patel, S, S Sankhyan, EK Boedicker, PF DeCarlo, DK Farmer, AH Goldstein, EF Katz, WW Nazaroff, Y Tian, J Vanhanen, ME Vance*. “Indoor aerosol emissions during the HOMEChem study: sources, evolution, and estimated exposure.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2020, 54(12): 7107-7116. doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c00740
30. Lunderberg, DM, K Kristensen, Y Tian, C Arata, PK Misztal, Y Liu, N Kreisberg, EF Katz, PF DeCarlo, S Patel, ME Vance, WW Nazaroff, AH Goldstein*. “Surface emissions modulate indoor SVOC concentrations through volatility-dependent partitioning.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2020, 54(11): 6751-6760. doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c00966
29. Toth, S*, M Hannigan, M Vance, ME, M Deceglie. “Predicting photovoltaic soiling from air quality measurements.” IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 2020, 10(4): 1142-1147. doi.org/10.1109/JPHOTOV.2020.2983990
28. Mattila, J, P Lakey, M Shiraiwa, C Wang, J Abbatt, C Arata, AH Goldstein, L Ampollini, E Katz, P DeCarlo, S Zhou, TF Kahan, F Cardoso Saldaña, L Hildebrandt Ruiz, A Abeleira, E Boedicker, ME Vance, DK Farmer*. “Multiphase chemistry controls inorganic chlorinated and nitrogenated compounds in indoor air during bleach cleaning.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2020, 54(3): 1730-1739. doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.9b05767
27. Wang, C, DB Collins, C Arata, AH Goldstein, JM Mattila, DK Farmer, A Novoselac, ME Vance, WW Nazaroff, JPD Abbatt*. “Surface reservoirs dominate dynamic gas-surface partitioning of many indoor air constituents.” Science Advances, 2020, 6(8): eaay8973. Online cover. doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aay8973
26. Geitner, NK, CO Hendren, G Cornelis, R Kaegi, JR Lead, GV Lowry, I Lynch, B Nowack, E Petersen, E Bernhardt, S Brown, W Chen, C Garidel-Thoron, J Hanson, SL Harper, K Jones, F Von der Kammer, A Kennedy, J Kidd, CW Matson, C. Metcalf, JA Pedersen, WJGM. Peijnenburg, JTK Quik, SM Rodrigues, J Rose, P Sayre, M Simonin, C Svendsen, RL Tanguay, N Tufenkji, T van Teunenbroek, G Thies, Y Tian, J Rice, A Turner, J Liu, J Unrine, ME Vance, JC White, MR Wiesner*. “Harmonizing Across Environmental Nanomaterial Testing Media for Increased Comparability of Nanomaterial Datasets.” Environmental Science: Nano, 2020, 7: 13-36. doi.org/10.1039/C9EN00448C
Published in 2019
25. Farmer, DK*, ME Vance, J Abbatt, A Abeleira, MR Alves, C Arata, E Boedicker, S Bourne, F Cardoso-Saldaña, R Corsi, PF DeCarlo, AH Goldstein, VH Grassian, L Hildebrandt Ruiz, JL Jimenez, TF Kahan, EF Katz, J Mattila, W Nazaroff, A Novoselac, VW Or, RE O’Brien, S Patel, S Sankhyan, PS Stevens, Y Tian, C Wang, S Zhou, Y Zhou. “Overview of HOMEChem: House Observations of Microbial and Environmental Chemistry.” Environmental Science: Processes Impacts, 2019, 21: 1280-1300. doi.org/10.1039/C9EM00228F Part of ESPI Recent HOT Articles; Part of ESPI Best Papers 2019.
24. Garcia, EB, C Alms, AW Hinman, C Kelly, A Smith, ME Vance, J Loncarek, LC Marr, D Cimini*. “Single-cell analysis reveals that silver nanoparticle exposure induces cell division defects in non-transformed human epithelial cells.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2019, 16(11): 2061. doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16112061
Published in 2018
23. Adawi, HI, MA Newbold, J Reed, ME Vance, I Feitshans, LR Bickford, NA Lewinski*. “Nano-Enabled Personal Care Products: Current Developments in Consumer Safety.” NanoImpact, 2018, 11: 170 -179. doi.org/10.1016/j.impact.2018.08.002
Published in 2017
22. Vance, ME*, V Pegues, W Leng, S VanMonfrans, LC Marr. “Aerosol emissions from fuse-deposition modeling 3D printers in a chamber and in real indoor environments.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2017, 51 (17): 9516-9523. doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.7b01546
21. Pourzahedi, L, ME Vance, MJ Eckelman*. “Life Cycle Assessment and Release Studies for 15 Nanosilver-enabled Consumer Products: Investigating Hotspots and Patterns of Contribution.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2017, 51 (12): 7148-7158. doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b05923
20. Dale, JG*, SS Cox, ME Vance, LC Marr, M Hochella. “Transformation of cerium oxide nanoparticles from a diesel fuel additive during combustion in a diesel engine.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2017, 51 (4): 1973-1980. doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b03173
Published in 2016
19. Yang, Y, ME Vance, F Tou, A Tiwari, M Hochella*. “Potentially Aerosolized Nanoparticles in road dust in Shanghai: identification, distribution and environmental implications.” Environmental Science: Nano, 2016, 534 (3): 534-544 doi.org/10.1039/c6en00056h Front Cover; Part of Top-10 most read papers in 2016.
18. Baalousha, M*, Y Yang*, ME Vance, B Coleman, J Xu, J Blaszczak, S McNeal, M Steele, E Bernhardt, MF Hochella. “Outdoor urban nanomaterials: The immergence of a new, integrated, and critical field of study.” Science of the Total Environment, 2016, 557: 740-753. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.03.132
Published in 2015
17. Vance, ME*, E Vejerano, T Kuiken, S McGinnis, M Hochella, M Hull. “Nanotechnology in the real world: Redeveloping the nanomaterial consumer products inventory.” Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, 2015, 6: 1769-1780. doi.org/10.3762/bjnano.6.181 Most accessed paper per year 2015-2018; Most cited paper 2015-2019.
16. Tulve, NS*, AB Stefaniak, ME Vance, K Rogers, S Mwilu, RF LeBouf, D Schwegler-Berry, R Willis, TA Thomas, LC Marr. “Characterization of silver nanoparticles in consumer products used by or near children or found in the home to predict children's potential exposure.” International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 2015, 218(3): 345-357. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2015.02.002
15. Vance, ME, LC Marr*. “Exposure to airborne engineered nanoparticles in the indoor environment.” Atmos Environ, 2015, 106: 503-509. doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2014.12.056
Published in 2013
14. Quadros, ME*, R Pierson IV, N Tulve, R Willis, K Rogers, T Thomas, LC Marr. “Release of silver from nanotechnology-based consumer products for children.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2013, 47(15): 8894-8901. doi.org/10.1021/es4015844
13. Shores, CA, ME Klapmeyer, ME Quadros, LC Marr*. “Sources and transport of black carbon at the California-Mexico border.” Atmospheric Environment, 2013, 70: 490-499. doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.04.031
Published in 2011
12. Quadros, ME, LC Marr*. “Silver nanoparticles and total aerosols emitted by nanotechnology-related consumer spray products.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2011, 45(24): 10713-10719. doi.org/10.1021/es202770m
Published in 2010
11. Quadros, ME, LC Marr*. “Environmental and human health risks of aerosolized silver nanoparticles.” Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2010, 60(7): 770-781. doi.org/10.3155/1047-3222.214.171.1240
10. Carmo Junior, GN, P Belli Filho, HM Lisboa, WN Schirmer*, ME Quadros. “Odor assessment tools and odor emissions in industrial processes.” Acta Scientiarum Technology, 2010, 32(3): 287-293. doi.org/10.4025/actascitechnol.v32i3.4778
9. Schirmer, WN* and ME Quadros. “Compostos orgânicos voláteis biogênicos emitidos a partir de vegetação e seu papel no ozônio troposférico urbano” (Biogenic volatile organic compounds from vegetation and their role in the urban tropospheric ozone). Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Arborização Urbana, 2010, 5 (1): 25-42. doi.org/10.5380/revsbau.v5i1.66235
Published in 2009
8. Quadros, ME*, HM Lisboa, P Belli Filho. “Efficiency evaluation of gas treatment equipment in terms of odor removal using dynamic olfactometry.” Water Practice & Technology, 2009, 2(4): 1-6. doi.org/10.2166/wpt.2009.031
7. Quadros, ME*, HM Lisboa, et al. “Qualidade do ar interno em ambientes hospitalares” (Indoor air quality in hospitals). Revista Tecnologia, 2009, 30(1): 32-52.
6. Quadros, ME*, HM Lisboa, et al. “Qualidade do ar em ambientes internos hospitalares: estudo de caso e análise crítica dos padrões atuais” (Indoor air quality in hospitals: a case study and a critical review of the current standards). Revista Engenharia Sanitária e Ambiental, 2009, 14(3): 431-437. doi.org/10.1590/S1413-41522009000300017
Published in 2008
5. Quadros, ME*, WN Schirmer, HM Lisboa. “A olfatometria como ferramenta na verificação da eficácia de neutralizador de odor industrial” (Olfactometry as a tool for the efficiency verification of industrial odor neutralizer). Ambiencia, 2008, 4(3): 367-382.
4. Quadros, ME* and WN Schirmer. “O uso da fotocatálise para a desinfecção e desodorização do ar interno” (Photocatalysis and its uses for indoor air deodorization and disinfection). Ambiencia, 2008, 4(2): 309-325.
3. Schirmer, WN*, ME Quadros, HM Lisboa et al. “Avaliação da força de retenção de compostos orgânicos (COV) em nanoestruturas de carbono ‘cup stacked” (Retention of air-phase VOCs in cupstacked carbon nanostructures), Tecno-lógica. 2008, 12(2): 31-36.
2. Schirmer, WN*, ME Quadros, HM Lisboa et al. “Análises olfatométricas para determinação das características do odor no manguezal do Itacuribi, município de Florianópolis, Santa Catarina” (Odor characterization of a wetland area in Florianópolis, Brazil through olfactometric analyses). Revista Brasileira de Ciências Ambientais, 2008, 2(1): 57-72. doi.org/10.18316/128
Published in 2007
1. Schirmer, WN*, ME Quadros, HM Lisboa et al. “Características, natureza e métodos de amostragem/ análise de gases odorantes emitidos em processos industriais: Caso das lagoas de tratamento de efluentes” (Characteristics, nature and sampling/analysis methods for odorous gases from industrial processes: A case study on petrochemical wastewater treatment ponds). Revista Brasileira de Ciências Ambientais, 2007, 1(1): 35-52. doi.org/10.18316/168
Other professional profiles: