ECCE 247, UCB 428, Boulder, CO 80309-0428
Professor Zuo is currently on leave at CU Boulder since he joins Penn State University in January 2022. For updated information, visit his new page at Penn State.
With degrees in three majors (Automation, Computational Engineering, Mechanical Engineering) from three countries (China, Germany, U.S.), Dr. Zuo's research is highly interdisciplinary and collaborative. His current research focuses on smart, sustainable and resilient buildings, communities and cities. He has contributed to multiple open source programs, including Modelica Buildings Library for building energy and control systems, Fast Fluid Dynamics for indoor airflow simulation, Modelica Net Zero Energy Community library, and Modelica Smart and Connected Community Library. He has served as PI for nearly 30 research projects sponsored by NSF, DOE, DOD, DHS etc. with more than $7M research grant. He has supervised more than 15 Ph.D. students and published more than 100 peer reviewed papers. Prior to joining the CU Boulder, he was an Assistant Professor at the University of Miami and Research Scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- Professor, Department of Architectural Engineering, Pennsylvania State University (2022-Now)
- Associate Professor (on leave since 01/2022), Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder (2017-Now)
- Faculty Director for Smart, Sustainable and Resilient City, University of Colorado Boulder (2020-2021)
- Affiliated Faculty, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder (2020-Now)
- Affiliated Faculty, Community Engagement Design and Research Center, University of Colorado Boulder (2019-2021)
- Joint Appointment, Buildings and Thermal Sciences Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (2018-Now)
Major Professional Services
- Associate Editor, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering: Including Wind Energy and Building Energy Conservation; Sustainable Buildings (2019-Now)
- Treasurer and Affiliate Director of International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA) (2016-Now)
- Chair, ASHRAE TC 4.10 Indoor Environmental Modeling (2019-2021)
- Chair, ASHRAE TC 7.4 Exergy Analysis for Sustainable Buildings (2017-2019)
- Founding Chair, IBPSA-USA Research Committee (2014-2018)
- Fellow, IBPSA, 2021
- Research Development Award, Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, CU Boulder, 2020.
- ExCEEd Teaching Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2019
- Lewis-Worcester Faculty Fellow, College of Engineering, CU Boulder, 2017-Now
- Distinguished Service Award, ASHRAE, 2017
- Eliahu I. Jury Early Career Research Award, College of Engineering, University of Miami, 2016
- SEEDS You Choose Leadership Award, University of Miami, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Emerging Professional Award in recognition of superior early achievement in the field of energy modeling, IBPSA-USA, 2016
- Provost Research Award, University of Miami, 2014
See our publication page for the full list of Dr. Zuo's publications.
- 2021.11: CU BEST Center Addresses Climate Change through Building, Denver 7 - The Denver Channel.
- 2021.09: Employee Spotlight, by College of Engineering and Applied Science, Univeristy of Colorado Boulder.
- 2021.08: International Building Performance Simulation Association Fellow, by College of Engineering and Applied Science, Univeristy of Colorado Boulder.
- 2021.07: International Research Partnership Aims to Reduce Residential Energy Consumption, by College of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Colorado Boulder.
- 2021.03: New Toolkit Helps Save Energy in Two Data Centers—and Potentially Many More, by US Department of Energy.
- 2020.09: Open Source Tool Aims to Improve Electric Grid Efficiency, Resiliency, by College of Engineering and Applied Science, Univeristy of Colorado Boulder.
- 2017.12: UM Speical Report on Cuba and the Caribbean: Exploring Energy Options for Cuba, by University of Miami.
- 2016.11: Planning Smart, Sustainable and Connected Communities, by University of Miami.