Sponsored by U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
This research is to create a coupled simulation of indoor environment, envelope, HVAC and control systems to support the controls design and evaluation of energy efficient ventilation. The fast fluid dynamics (FFD) model is adopted to model the indoor environment with stratified air distribution. The Modelica Buildings library is used to model the building envelope, HVAC and related control system. The models have been publically released as a part of the Modelica Buildings library since 2015.
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- W. Tian, X. Han, W. Zuo, Q. Wang, Y. Fu, M. Jin 2019. “An Optimization Platform Based on Coupled Indoor Environment and HVAC Simulation and Its Application in Optimal Thermostat Placement.” Energy and Buildings, 199, pp. 342-251.
- W. Tian, X. Han, W. Zuo, M. Sohn 2018. "Building Energy Simulation Coupled with CFD for Indoor Environment: A Critical Review and Recent Applications." Energy and Buildings, 165, pp.184-199.
- W. Tian, T. A. Sevilla, W. Zuo, M. Sohn 2017. "Coupling Fast Fluid Dynamics and Multizone Airflow Models in Modelica Buildings Library to Simulate the Dynamics of HVAC System." Building and Environment, 122, pp. 269-286.
- W. Zuo, M. Wetter, W. Tian, D. Li, M. Jin, Q. Chen 2016. "Coupling Indoor Airflow, HVAC, Control and Building Envelope Heat Transfer in the Modelica Buildings Library.” Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 9(4), pp. 366-381.
- W. Tian, Y. Fu, Q. Wang, T. A. Sevilla, W. Zuo 2018. “Optimization on Thermostat Location in an Office Room Using the Coupled Simulation Platform in Modelica Buildings Library: A Pilot Study.” Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Building Energy and Environment (COBEE2018), pp. 569-574, February 5-9, Melbourne, Australia.
- W. Tian, W. Zuo, T. A. Sevilla, M. Sohn 2017. “Coupled Simulation Between CFD and Multizone Models Based on Modelica Buildings Library to Study Indoor Environment Control.” Proceedings of the 12th International Modelica Conference, pp. 55-61, May 15-17, Prague, Czech Republic.
- M. Wetter, M. Bonvini, T. S. Nouidui, W. Tian, W. Zuo 2015. “Modelica Buildings Library 2.0.” Proceedings of the 14th Conference of International Building Performance Simulation Association (Building Simulation 2015), pp. 387-394, December 7-9, Hyderabad, India.
- W. Zuo, M. Wetter, D. Li, M. Jin, W. Tian, Q. Chen 2014. “Coupled Simulation of Indoor Environment, HVAC and Control System by Using Fast Fluid Dynamics and the Modelica Buildings Library.” Proceedings of the 2014 ASHRAE/IBPSA-USA Building Simulation Conference, pp. 56-63, September 10-12, Atlanta, GA.
- W. Tian, W. Zuo 2013. “Literature Review and Research Needs to Couple Building Energy and Airflow Simulation.” Proceedings of the APEC Conference on Low-carbon Towns and Physical Energy Storage, pp. 492-496, May 25-26, Changsha, China.