- Dr. Allison Hilger was an invited speaker at the Annual Ataxia Conference in Las Vegas, NV. She presented on speech and swallowing impairements in ataxia. Watch the talk here!
- Dr. Hilger received the University of Colorado's Research and Innovation Office research grant with CU Boulder linguists Dr. Bhuvana Narasimhan and Dr. Rebecca Scarborough for $50,000 to study how mothers talk with their children in autism.
- Jacqueline McCurdy successfully defended her Master's Thesis on aerosol generation from speech production. Congrats Jacqueline!
- Melanie Esver successfully defended her Master's Thesis on syntax in ataxic dysarthria. Congrats Melanie!
- Kylie Dunne-Platero and Caitlin Cloud presented at the American Speech-Language Hearing Association conference on using the Colorado Motor Speech Framework to assess dysarthria and apraxia of speech.
- Melanie Esver and Caitlin Cloud presented on syntax in ataxic dysarthria at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association conference
- Mandy Sebestyen won the Outstanding Graduate Student award in the MA-SLP porgam.
- Allison Hilger received the University of Colorado's Research and Innovation Seed Grant for $50k to study aerosol generation from speech production. This project is in collaboration with Drs. Shelly Miller and Sarah Clark. Follow project updates here: Acoustic Speech Characteristics of Aerosol Generation
- Kylie Dunne-Platero presented "Impact of speech naturalness, intelligibility, and referral to speech therapy on quality of life in cerebellar ataxia" (co-authors: Taylor Fahey, Melanie Esver, and Allison Hilger) at the Conference for Motor Speech in Charleson, SC.
- Taylor Fahey and Allison Hilger presented "Impact of manual American Sign Language parameters on intelligibility" at the Conference for Motor Speech in Charleson, SC.
- Dr. Hilger and Caitlin Cloud presented "Cerebellar Injury, Speech, and Quality of Life: Considerations for Comprehensive Care" at the Brain Injury Symposium in Colorado Springs, CO
- FIVE presentations by CO Motor Speech Lab at the American Speech-Language Hearing Associaition Conference in Washington D.C.!
- Mandy Sebestyan, Holly Kleiber, and Dr. Hilger presented a virtual talk, "Efficacy of LSVT in Multiligual Patient with Hypokinetic Dysarthria and Comorbid Unspecified Dementia"
- Kylie Dunne-Platero and Dr. Hilger presented a virtual talk, "Living with Ataxic Dysarthria: Quality of Life Implications for Clinical Evaluation and Intervention"
- Caitlin Cloud and Dr. Hilger presented, "Pure & Mixed Dysarthria Subtypes in Cerebellar Ataxia"
- Melanie Esver and Dr. Hilger presented, "Receptive Prosody in Cerebellar Ataxia"
- Dr. Hilger and Caroline Spencer presented, "Characteristics of Speech in Ataxia and Implications for Speech Therapy"
- Dr. Hilger and Caitlin Cloud presented, "Determining when Speech Therapy is Appropriate for Clients with Ataxia" at the Colorado Speech Hearing Association Conference in Denver, CO.
- Kylie Dunne-Platero was awarded the ASHA Distinguished Early Career Professional (ECP) Certificate
- Dr. Hilger and Tehya Stockman were invited to present at the National Federation of State High School Associations Performing Arts Conference on aerosol research in performing arts
The CO Motor Speech Lab finished data collection for survey study on speech therapy in ataxia
Our lab speech-language pathologist, Kylie Dunne-Platero, received her certificate of clinical competency from the American Speech-Language Hearing Association
Caitlin Cloud presented her poster titled “The Contribution of Pitch and Loudness Control to Speech Naturalness in Ataxia” at the Boston Speech Motor Control Symposium
Dr. Hilger led a round table discussion with Dr. Kristen Allison at the Boston Speech Motor Control Symposium on assessment and treatment for dysarthria
Caitlin Cloud received the MA-SLP Student of the Year Award for her outstanding work academically and clinically, as the president of the CO NSSHLA branch, as a leader in the department’s cultural competency book club, and in her research.
The CO Motor Speech Lab was one of the highest fundraising teams for the rideAtaxia fundraiser
Dr. Hilger published a paper with Rosemary Lester-Smith, Jason Kim, Chun-Liang Chan, and Charles Larson titled “Auditory-Motor Control of Fundamental Frequency in Vocal Vibrato”