Published: Nov. 18, 2021

Are you traveling outside the U.S. over winter break?

Travel Signatures

A valid travel signature is required to enter the U.S. in F-1/F-2 and J-1/J-2 status.

  • A travel signature is generally valid for re-entry to the U.S. within one year from the date it is received or until the end date on the I-20 or DS-2019, whichever comes first. 
    • Exception: A travel signature for students authorized for OPT is only valid for six months. 

Please check your I-20 (p.2) or DS-2019 (p.1) to see when you last received a travel signature.

  • If, on the date you will re-enter the U.S., your travel signature will be more than one year old or six months old if you are on OPT, then you must obtain a new travel signature from an ISSS advisor and travel with the newly signed document when you seek to re-enter the United States.
  • Individuals who seek to re-enter the U.S. without a valid travel signature may be denied re-entry.

Obtaining a New Travel Signature

  • Complete the I-20 /DS-2019 Document Reprint Request Form (via DocuSign).
  • Students with F-1 Status and Dependents with F-2 Status:
    • ISSS will reprint and email you a new I-20 with a new travel signature. Print the I-20, sign it on p.1. and carry it with you when you travel to the United States.
    • An electronic or digital travel signature is valid for the same duration as an ink signature.
  • Exchange Visitors with J-1 or J-2 Status:
    • ISSS will reprint and mail you a new DS-2019 with a new travel signature. Sign the DS-2019 it on p.1. and carry it with you when you travel to the United States.

Your Return Travel

Plan ahead and travel smart! Please review the following resources:

It is highly recommended that students travel with their proof of full-time enrollment. Please review the spring 2022 updates linked below for additional information and considerations regarding your return to campus.

Spring 2022 Update