Published: Nov. 2, 2021

On Nov.1, 2021, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) published  SEVP Policy Guidance: Use of Electronic Signatures and Transmission for the Form I-20.

• This guidance formalizes flexibility granted during the COVID-19 pandemic and permits designated school officials (DSOs) permission to continue to electronically sign and transmit the Form I-20 to initial and continuing students and their dependents indefinitiely. This includes the DSO signature in the School Attestation section of the I-20 (p. 1) as well as the Travel Endorsement section of your I-20 (p. 2).
  • Students must still print the dcoument and physically sign (wet ink signature) in the Student Attestation section of the I-20 (p.1) to comply with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) requirements.

SEVP coordinated with its government partners within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of State and U.S. Social Security Administration to ensure continued acceptance of electronically signed Forms I-20.

• If you encounter an issue with a government partner accepting an electronically signed Form I-20, contact ISSS.