Associate Professor Emeritus
- The physiology and biomechanics of terrestrial locomotion: (1) Partitioning of the rate of metabolic energy expenditure into its biomechanical constituents; (2) The influences of internal and external forces on walking, running, cycling and cross-country skiing.
- Locomotion Laboratory.
- 1979-83, B.A., Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
- 1984-85, M.S., Biomechanics, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA.
- 1986-91, A.M. and Ph.D., Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- 1992-1994, Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- 1994-2000, Assistant Professor, Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- 2000-2003, Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology and Applied Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2003-2017, Associate Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2008, President, American Society of Biomechanics.
- 2018-Present, Associate Professor Alumnus, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- Batliner ME, Kipp S, Grabowski AM, Kram R, Byrnes WC. Does metabolic rate increase linearly with running speed in all distance runners? Sports Medicine International Open, 38: 2:1132-1138, 2018.
- Beck ON, Kipp S, Byrnes WC, Kram R. Viewpoint: Use aerobic energy expenditure instead of oxygen uptake to quantify exercise intensity and predict endurance performance. Journal of Applied Physiology https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00940.2017, 2018.
- Hoogkamer W, Kipp S, Franz JH, Farina EM, Luo G, Kram R. A comparison of the energetic cost of running in marathon racing shoes. Sports Medicine 48: 1009-1019, 2018.
- Kipp S, Byrnes WC, Kram R. Calculating metabolic energy expenditure across a wide range of exercise intensities: the equation matters. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 43: 1-4, 2018.
- Summerside EM, Kram R, Ahmed AA. Contributions of metabolic and temporal costs to human gait selection. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2018.0197, 2018.
- Swinnen W, Kipp S, Kram R. Comparison of running and cycling economy in runners, cyclists, and triathletes. European Journal of Applied Physiology https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-018-3865-4, 2018.