Published: Sept. 28, 2020
Arpan in front of the Golden Gate Bridge

Arpan Das is a third year PhD student studying Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology (MCDB). His research focuses how genes are regulated in mammals by different non-coding RNAs. Arpan was recently awarded a Teaching Excellence Award based on his teaching philosophy and dedication to his students. We asked Arpan a few questions to learn more about him as a teacher and get to know him better. Read more below!

What is your favorite part about teaching?

To me, the best part of teaching is igniting enthusiasm and interests in the subject among the students. When my students approached me or my LA with a slightly different topic, we felt confident that we are on the right track. That’s the most rewarding part of teaching!

Is there a particular story from the classroom you would like to share?

We were hunting for bacteriophages (a virus that kills bacteria) as part of the class. Some students were able to get a phage in their first attempt and some not. I, along with the LA, tried to tell them that science is not always rewarding but they should not get frustrated about it. One of the groups took our advice and kept pursuing their work. At last, after the 7th or 8th attempt, when they isolated a phage from the soil sample, the smile of satisfaction on their faces is still the most favorite classroom experience to me.

Do you have any recommendations for continuing or increasing student advocacy and engagement?

If we can have a peer-mentoring sessions for the undergrads who are interested to go to grad school, that will be great. They will also be benefited from gathering our experience, knowing what to expect in grad school and might be successful in their career.

Tell us a fun fact about you that is not related to your teaching and research

Recently, I started baking during the quarantine time and I love it so far. Now, when I am not in lab, I am in the kitchen trying to make some cakes/brownies/muffins!

What is a good book you have read recently and why did you enjoy it?

I am reading the Game of Thrones series now after watching the entire TV series and I am glad that I am reading the books. I feel the books have better story than what they showed on TV.

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead), who would it be and why?

Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. I am a bigtime soccer fan and they are the bests of these era. Despite of their fame, successes, the kind of struggles both of them faced in their childhood always inspires me!