PhD Student of Geography • Political Ecology • Development • More-than-Human Geographies • Multi-Species Ethnography • Indigenous Methodologies • Caterpillar Fungus • Biodiversity Conservation • Climate Change • Road and Infrastructure Studies • Nepal and the Himalaya • MA University of Colorado, 2020
Thesis title: "Mountains are Commons, Grasses are Divided": Indigenous Environmental Governance Between Conservation and Democracy
- Gurung, Phurwa. 2021. “Challenging Infrastructural Orthodoxies: Political and Economic Geographies of a Himalayan Road.” Geoforum 120 (March): 103–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2021.01.020.
- Gurung, Phurwa. forthcoming. "Coercing Participatory Conservation? Caterpillar Fungus and Cartographies of Slow Dispossession in the Himalaya." Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space.
- Gurung, Phurwa and Bauer, Ken. forthcoming. "Infrastructures of Change: Development among Pastoralists in Dolpo (1990–2020)." In The Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Highland Asia, eds. J.P. Wouters and Michael T. Heneise.
- Nyima Dorjee and Phurwa D Gurung. 2019. "On the Road in Rasuwa, Nepal" (photo essay). HIMALAYA: The Journal of the Association for Nepal and Himalayan Studies https://himalayajournal.org/photo-gallery/road-rasuwa-nepal/
- Gurung, Phurwa and Nyima Dorjee. 2018. "On the Road: Commodities, Trade, and Transportation in Northwest Nepal" (photo essay). HIMALAYA: The Journal of the Association for Nepal and Himalayan Studies https://himalayajournal.org/photo-gallery/road-commodities-trade-transportation-northwest-nepal/
- Gurung, Phurwa. August 2017. "Police Brutality in the Himalaya" (video essay). The Record https://www.recordnepal.com/police-brutality-in-the-himalaya
Faculty Advisor: Emily Yeh