Roger Barry, longtime faculty member, colleague, and friend to many, passed away March 19, 2018 at the age of 82. Roger had lifelong research interests ranging widely from polar climates to mountain climates to climate change. He was the author of hundreds of research papers and review articles and an avid author and co-author of textbooks, including Atmosphere Weather and Climate, Synoptic and Dynamic Climatology, Mountain Weather and Climate, and Microclimate and Local Climates. His final book, focusing on polar environments, will be published posthumously. Roger was recognized around the world for both his scientific accomplishments and his service to the community.
Honors and Awards
- J S Guggenheim Fellow (1982-83)
- Fellow: American Geophysical Union (1999)
- Fellow: Fulbright Teaching Fellowship, Geography Faculty, Dept. of Cryology, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia (April-June 2001)
- Foreign Member: Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, (RAEN) (June 2001)
- Byrd Polar Medal, Ohio State University (2006)
- Humboldt Research Fellowship in Geophysics, Bavarian Academy of Sciences, Commission on Glaciology, Munich, Germany
- Founder's Medal, one of two gold medals awarded annually by the Royal Geographical Society, London (2007)
- Distinguished Professor of Geography, University of Colorado (2004)
- Review Editor and Contributor to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) which received the Nobel Peace Prize (2007)
More Recent Highlights
- Aug 2012–March 2014: Roger was on short term contract as Director of the International Climate Variability and Predictability (CLIVAR) Project Office at the National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, UK
- 2009–2012: Was awarded a Humboldt Prize Fellowship to work at the Commission for Glaciology at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences in Munich, Germany, from May–October 2009 and August–October 2010. He prepared (with Thian Gan, University of Edmonton) a book on the cryosphere for Cambridge University Press during this time. The book The Global Cryosphere: Past, Present and Future was published in June 2011.
Covers of Roger's Books