December 6, 2022: We are nearing completion of the overall project. All floors are now occupied by users with laboratories moving into full operation. Two labs on level 1B are being built out and these will be the final areas of construction for the project and will be completed soon. Both the new east entrance and renovated loading dock are fully operational and open to use. Landscaping around the east entry and north elevation was completed in fall of this year, thus we will see this landscaping really come to life in spring/summer 2023.
June 8, 2022: Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing work are overall 85% complete with most of the remaining work on level 1B. Finishes such as floor tile, sheetrock, finish painting, tile and bathroom plumbing fixtures are being installed on every floor. Around the exterior new windows are going in and hardscape site elements are being laid out.
October 5, 2021: Installation of gypsum board at Level 1 continues. Openings have been cut in existing walls of Penthouse 210 for exterior ductwork. Installation of overhead MEP continues at Levels 1B, 1 and 2. Cast-in-place board formed concrete infill at old door opening to roof has been completed and formwork removed.
September 10, 2021: Parking Lot 444 has been reopened and is currently being landscaped. Openings for new windows, set to be installed in October, have been cut out. Framing and drywall is underway in the interiors.
July 1, 2021: Site excavation continues into early July for sanitary and irrigation in the parking lot and sidewalk areas. Concrete pouring for slab and walls continues through July.
May 6, 2021: Parking lot 444 is being redone so the site is gated. The outside site demolition will start in approximately 3 weeks.
April 8, 2021: Demolition started on April 5.
January 26, 2021: Fransen Pittman was awarded the project, and we hope to start in early March.
January 4, 2021:
Departments/units to be housed in the north wing:
- ME (mechanical engineering) - expansion
- EE (electrical engineering) - expansion
- BME (biomedical engineering) – new degree program
- Cubit Quantum Initiative, that has already won $20 million in research awards. This initiative has a strong workforce development element as well as close links with quantum-intensive companies.
- A new Student Support Center for Academic Advising & Career Services.
How the ECNW project will enrich the mission of the college:
- The new Student Support Center will provide academic counseling, career advising, employer meetups, presentations and interviews. It is where Colorado employers will be able to interact with CU engineering students.
- 35% of the space will be for research labs. The college generated $117 million in research awards last year, and this space will be the equivalent of 10% of our research space and expected to generate a proportionate amount of research.
- It will provide focused interaction between prospective employers and CU engineering students.
- It will allow for continued growth in the College of Engineering and Applied Science that has provided 50% of the growth at CU Boulder since 2008.
A 10' to 20' area around the north and east elevations of NW and the NT loading dock and freight elevator will be closed for the duration of the project. The drivelane to the adjacent parking lot, lot 444, will have regular construction traffic.
|Construction start date:||March 2021|
|Anticipated move-in:||Spring 2023|
|Approved Budget:||$32 million|
About the Project
Complete reconstruction of 55,477 GSF (35,000 assignable square feet) contained within two buildings in CU's Engineering Center (EC), which are the former Aerospace Wing (now North Wing) and the North Tower. General Contractor Scope: Decommision, abatement, demolition, install all new MEP and FP systems, construction and finish work to create new floor plans for: offices, student services, common spaces, breakout rooms, conference rooms and laboratories. Lab space for: Mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering and biomedical engineering. Exterior work includes new windows, new roof, new east entry and overall site improvements.