CU- Boulder Water Reuse Program Co-director
Department: Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
Education: B.S., M.S., University of Cincinnati (1975, 1977), Ph.D., Stanford University (1986)
Teaching: EVEN 1000 Intro to Environmental Engineering, CVEN 3424 Water and Wastewater Treatment, CVEN 5464 Environmental Engineering Processes, CVEN 5524 Water Treatment
Research: Drinking Water and Water Reuse Quality and Treatment, Organic Matter, Disinfection By-Products, Water Treatment for Low and Middle Income Communities
Office: SEEC S297
Honors and Distinctions:
- Charles R. O'Melia Distinguished Educator Award, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors, 2020
- A.P. Black Award, American Water Works Association, 2013
- University of Colorado CEAE Department
- Research Award, 2007
- Teaching Award, 2009
- Student's Favorite Professor Award, 2010
- Service Award, 2011
- Journal of the American Water Works Association
- Research Division Best Paper Award, 1990, 1996, 1997
- Water Quality Division Best Paper Award, 2016, 2018
- Best Paper Award, 2018
- Academic Achievement Award, American Water Works Association,
- MS advisor, 1993, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000
- PhD advisor, 1995, 1996
- Senior Fulbright Award, University of Crete, 1995
- USEPA Scientific and Technological Achievement Award, 1994
- University of Cincinnati,
- Graduate Teaching Award, CEE Department, 1990, 1994
- Tau Beta Pi Professor Award (College), 1991
- Faculty Achievement Award (University), 1996
Recent Publications with undergraduate students:
* indicates undergraduate student
- Meyer, J., Seidel, C., Summers, R.S., Evaluation of Population-Weighted Risk Reduction for Several Disinfection By-product Control Strategies, ASCE Journal Environmental Engineering, 146 (3) ARTN 04019131(2020).
- Raseman WJ, Kasprzyk JR, Summers RS, Hohner AK, Rosario-Ortiz FL. "Multi-objective optimization of water treatment operations for disinfection byproduct control." Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 6 (3): 702-714 (2020).
- Cuthbertson AA, Kimura SY, Liberatore HK, Knappe DRU, Stanford B, Summers RS, Dickenson ER, Maness JC, Glover C, Selbes M, "GAC to BAC: Does it make chloraminated drinking water safer?" Water Research, 172: ARTN 115432. (2020).
- Bentley MJ, Summers RS. "Ash pretreatment of pine and biosolids produces biochars with enhanced capacity for organic micropollutant removal from surface water, wastewater, and stormwater." Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 6 (3): 635-644 (2020).
- Thompson KA, Valencia EW*, Summers RS, Cook SM. "Sorption, coagulation, and biodegradation for graywater treatment." Water Science & Technology, 81 (10): 2152-2162 (2020).
- Verdugo EM, Gifford M, Glover C, Cuthbertson AA, Trenholm RA, Kimura SY, Liberatore HK, Richardson SD, Stanford BD, Summers RS, "Controlling disinfection byproducts from treated wastewater using adsorption with granular activated carbon: Impact of pre-ozonation and pre-chlorination." Water Research X, 9 (2020).
- Summers RS, Shiokari ST, Johnson S, Peterson E, Yu Y, Cook S. "Reuse treatment with ozonation, biofiltration, and activated carbon adsorption for total organic carbon control and disinfection byproduct regulation compliance." AWWA Water Science. 2 (5) e1190 (2020).
- Tolofari DL, Masters SV, Bartrand T, Hamilton KA, Haas CN, Olson M, Summers RS, Rasheduzzaman M, Young A, Singh R, et. al. "Full factorial study of pipe characteristics, stagnation times, and water quality." AWWA Water Science. 2 (5) e1204 (2020).
- Hohner, A., Terry, P.L., Townsend*, E., Summers, R.S. & Rosario-Ortiz, F.L. “Water treatment process evaluation of wildfire-affected sediment leachates.” Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3 (2): 352-365 (2017). DOI: 10.1039/C6EW00247A..
- Shimabuku K.K., Paige* J.M., Luna-Aguero* M. & Summers R.S. "Simplified Modeling of Organic Contaminant Adsorption by Activated Carbon and Biochar in the Presence of Dissolved Organic Matter and Other Competing Adsorbates." Environ. Sci. Technol, 51 (17) 10031-10040 (2017).