EVEN Program Director
DeRISK Center Director
Department: Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
Education: B.S., M.S., University of Cincinnati (1975, 1977), Ph.D., Stanford University (1986)
Teaching: EVEN 1000 Intro to Environmental Engineering, CVEN 3424 Water and Wastewater Treatment, CVEN 5464 Environmental Engineering Processes, CVEN 5524 Water Treatment
Research: Drinking Water and Water Reuse Quality and Treatment, Natural Organic Matter, Disinfection By-Products, Water Treatment for Developing Communities
Office: ECST 203 / SEEC S295A
Honors and Distinctions:
- A.P. Black Award, American Water Works Association, 2013
- CEAE Department Service Award, University of Colorado 2011
- CEAE Department Student's Favorite Professor Award, University of Colorado 2010
- CEAE Department Teaching Award, University of Colorado 2009
- CEAE Department Research Award, University of Colorado 2007
- Faculty Achievement Award, University of Cincinnati, 1996
- Research Division Best Paper Award, Journal of the American Water Works Assoc., 1990, 1996, 1997
- Academic Achievement Award, PhD advisor, American Water Works Association, 1995, 1996
- Senior Fulbright Award, University of Crete, 1995
- Best Poster Award, AWWA Research Foundation, 1994, 1995
- USEPA Scientific and Technological Achievement Award, 1994
- Academic Achievement Award, MS advisor, American Water Works Association, 1993, 1996,1998, 1999, 2000
- Tau Beta Pi Professor Award, University of Cincinnati, 1991
- Graduate Teaching Award, CEE Department, University of Cincinnati, 1990, 1994
Recent Publications with undergraduate students:
* indicates undergraduate student
- Shimabuku, K.K., Kennedy, A.M., Mulhern, R.E. & Summers, R.S. “Evaluating activated carbon adsorption of DOM and micropollutants using fluorescence spectroscopy.” Environ. Sci. Technol, 51 (5), 2676-2684 (2017). DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.6b04911
- Hohner, A., Terry, P.L., Townsend*, E., Summers, R.S. & Rosario-Ortiz, F.L. “Water treatment process evaluation of wildfire-affected sediment leachates.” Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3 (2): 352-365 (2017). DOI: 10.1039/C6EW00247A.
- Kennedy, A.M., Reinert, A.M., Knappe D.R.U. & Summers, R.S. “Prediction of Full-Scale GAC Adsorption of Organic Micropollutants.” Environmental Engineering Science, 34(7): 496-507 (2017). Link.
- Shimabuku K.K., Paige* J.M., Luna-Aguero* M. & Summers R.S. "Simplified Modeling of Organic Contaminant Adsorption by Activated Carbon and Biochar in the Presence of Dissolved Organic Matter and Other Competing Adsorbates." Environ. Sci. Technol, 51 (17) 10031-10040 (2017).
- Mulhern, R., Dickenson, E. & Summers, R.S. “Evaluating and modeling the activated carbon adsorption of wastewater-derived N-nitrosodimethylamine precursors” Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3 (5), 844-856 (2017). DOI: 10.1039/C7EW00123A.
- Thompson, K.A., Summers, R.S. & Cook, S.M. "Development and experimental validation of the composition and treatability of a new synthetic bathroom greywater (SynGrey)." Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology. 3(6), 1120-1131(2017). DOI:10.1039/C7EW00304H..
- Seidel C.J., Samson C.C., Bartrand T., Ergul A., & Summers R.S. "Disinfection Byproduct Occurrence at Large Water Systems after Stage 2 DBPR." J. Amer. Water Works Assoc. 109 (7), 17-30 (2017).
- Samson C.C., Seidel C.J., Summers R.S., & Bartrand T. "Assessment of HAA9 Occurrence and THM, HAA Speciation in the United States." J. Amer. Water Works Assoc. 109 (7), 288-301 (2017).
- Uleau, J., Summers, R.S. (2017), Revised Third year assessment of a student-based mentorship program for first-year environmental engineering students, Proceedings First-Year Engineering Experience (FYEE) Conference, August 6 – August 8, 2017, Daytona FL.
- Hohner, A. K., Cawley, K., Oropeza, J., Summers, R. S., & Rosario-Ortiz, F. L. (2016). Drinking water treatment response following a Colorado wildfire. Water Research, 105, 187-198.