Department: Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
Education: B.S., Iowa State University (1992), M.S., Ph.D., University of Washington (1994, 1996)
Teaching: CVEN 4474 Hazardous Waste Management, CVEN 5474 Hazardous & Industrial Waste Management, CVEN 5514 Bioremediation
Research: Engineering Education, In-situ Bioremediation, Sustainable water and wastewater treatment for developing communities
Office: ECOT 542
Honors and Distinctions:
- Advisor for winning student teams, Water Environment Federation (WEF) National Wastewater Student Design Competition, 2012, 2009
- Advisor for winning student teams, AECOM Student Design Competition 2012, 2011
- Advisor for student design teams participating in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) University Design Competition, Environmental Impacts category; 2013 two CU teams tied for second; 2012 CU team 2nd place and two teams tied for third place
- Best paper award, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Rocky Mountain Section Conference 2013
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice 2012
- Best paper award, K-12 Division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference, Zarske, Bielefeldt, et al. 2012
- Outstanding Service Award, Boulder Faculty Assembly, University of Colorado 2012
- Best Paper Award from American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference with co-authors K. Paterson and C. Swan. Environmental Division, PIC II, and Best Overall Paper 2009
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP)/McGraw-Hill Award for Outstanding Teaching in Environmental Engineering & Science 2004
- Early Career Award from the Environmental Division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) based on a paper presented at the Annual Conference 2003
- Editor’s Award for Outstanding Service from the American Society of Civil Engineers Journal of Environmental Engineering, Editor Robert G. Arnold 2002
- Karen Morehouse Best Paper Award for Proceedings of the 1999 Conference on Hazardous Waste Research (with Illangasekare and Grant) 2000
- Rudolf Hering Medal from the American Society of Civil Engineers for the best paper in the Journal of Environmental Engineering (with Stensel and Strand) 1997
- Mercury Seven Foundation Scholarship 1994
- National Science Foundation, Graduate Research Fellowship 1992
Recent Publications with undergraduate students:
* indicates undergraduate student
- Bielefeldt, A.R., C. Vos*. 2014. Stability of Biologically Reduced Chromium in Soil. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. 2 (1), 550-556. (available online Nov. 6, 2013). doi: 10.1016/j.jece.2013.10.012
- Rulifson, G., W. Thomas*, A. Bielefeldt. 2014. “Understanding of social responsibility by First Year Engineering Students: Ethical Foundations and Courses.” American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference and Exposition Proceedings. June 15-18. Indianapolis, IN. [peer reviewed]
- Canney, N., T. Bowling*, A. Bielefeldt. 2013. “In their own words: Engineering students’ view on the relationship between the engineering profession and society.” American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference and Exposition Proceedings. June 22-26. Atlanta, GA. [peer reviewed]
- Panacewicz, L.P., A. Bielefeldt, C. Schulz, R.S. Summers, and T. Relph*. 2010. Enhanced Ceramic Water Filtration System for Contaminant Removal for Households in Developing Countries. AWWA Water Quality Technology Conference (WQTC). Savannah, GA. Nov. 14-17.
- Bielefeldt, A.R., K. Kowalski, A. Kohler, C. Schilling*, S. Schreier*, and R. Scott Summers. 2010. Removal of Virus to Protozoan Sized Particles in Point-of-Use Ceramic Water Filters. Water Research. 44 (5): 1482-1488. doi:10.1016/j.watres.2009.10.043
- Cort, T., SK Park, C. Wozniak*, and A.R. Bielefeldt. 2006. Biotreatment of Surfactant Flush Wastewater from Wood Treatment Soil. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering. 132(1): 112-119. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2006)132:1(112)
- Bielefeldt, A.R., T. Illangasekare, and R. LaPlante*. 2004. Biodegradation of Propylene Glycol from Aircraft Deicing Fluid in Laboratory Columns under Variable Loading. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering. 130 (10): 1147-1153.
- Bielefeldt, A.R., R. Scott Summers, K. Kowalski, B. Bishop*, C. Schilling*, A. Malhotra*, et al. 2007. Removal of Virus-Sized Particles and E. coli by the Filtron. Presentation and abstract at the Association for Environmental Engineering and Science Professors Biennial Conference – Interactions at the Interface: Making the Connections Between Environments, Disciplines and Nations. July 28 – August 1. Blacksburg, VA.
- Barr, Stephen C.* and A. R. Bielefeldt. 2007. Hexavalent Chromium Biotransformation Mechanism that Predominates in Soil under Sulfate-Reducing Bacterial (SRB) Activity 17th Annual AEHS West Coast Conference on Soil, Sediments, and Water. Poster. San Diego, CA. March 19-22.
- Kowalski, K., B. Bishop*, A. Bielefeldt, and R.S. Summers. 2007. Filtron. 4th Annual Rocky Mountain AWWA/WEF student conference. Boulder, CO. May. Poster.
- Bielefeldt, Angela R., R. Scott Summers, Chris Fahlin*, Suzanne Givler, Kate Kowalski*, Katie Medina*, Lucas Hollenkamp*, Anisha Malhotra*, Heather Wright*. 2005. Evaluating the Water Treatment Effectiveness of the Filtrón. Abstract and oral presentation at the Mascaro Engineering Sustainability 2005 conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. April 10-12.
Recent Publications with graduate students:
** indicates graduate student
- **Canney, N., A. Bielefeldt. 2015. Differences in Engineering Students’ Views of Social Responsibility Between Disciplines. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. Published online 23 March. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000248
- **Canney, N., A. Bielefeldt. 2015. A Framework for the Development of Social Responsibility in Engineers. International Journal of Engineering Education. Special issue on Engineering Education: Beyond Technical Skills. 31 (1B), 414-424.
- Bielefeldt, A.R., **N. Canney. 2014. Impacts of Service-Learning on the Professional Social Responsibility Attitudes of Engineering Students. International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship, 9 (2), 47-63.
- McCormick, M., K. Lawyer, **J. Wiggins, C. Swan, K. Paterson, A.R. Bielefeldt. 2014. Sustainable Engineering Assessment Using Rubric-Based Analysis of Challenge Question Responses. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. Published online May 14, 2014. 10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000211.
- Paterson, Kurtis G., A.R. Bielefeldt, C.W. Swan, **G. Rulifson, D. Kazmer, O. Pierrakos. 2013. Designing Value into Engineering Learning Through Service Activities Using a Blueprint Model. International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship. 8 (Fall Special Issue), 64-83. ISSN 1555-9033. http://www.colorado.edu/even/node/2618/attachment
- Bielefeldt, A.R., **M. W. Stewart, E. Mansfield, R.S. Summers, J.N. Ryan. 2013. Effects of chlorine and other water quality parameters on the release of silver nanoparticles from a ceramic surface. Water Research. 47, 4032-4039. doi: 10.1016/j.watres.2013.01.058