Department: Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
Education: B.S., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1990), Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder (1999)
Research: Basic and applied ecosystem ecology, biogeochemistry, ecological responses to disturbance and environmental change, primary and secondary production in aquatic systems
Office: SEEC S268F
** denotes work done in collaboration with graduate students
* denotes work done in collaboration with undergraduate students
- **Detmer, T. M., J. H. McCutchan, Jr. 2021. Design and use of a benthic sled for quantitative sampling of epibenthic macroinvertebrates in lakes. Lake and Reservoir Management 37: 289 - 299.
- Lewis, W. M., Jr., J. H. McCutchan, Jr, and J. Roberson. 2019. Effects of climate change on temperature and thermal structure of a mountain reservoir. Water Resources Research 55: 1988 - 1999.
- Saunders, J. F., III, **Y. Yu, J. H. McCutchan, Jr., and F. L. Rosario-Ortiz. 2017. Characterizing limits of precision for dissolved organic nitrogen calculations. Environmental Science and Technology Letters 4: 453-456.
- **Detmer, T.M., J. H. McCutchan, Jr. and W. M. Lewis, Jr. 2017. Trophic interactions across lake-stream boundaries in mountain lakes. Inland Waters 7: 1 - 10.
- **Detmer, T.M., J. H. McCutchan, Jr. and W. M. Lewis, Jr. 2017. Predator driven changes in prey size distribution stabilize secondary production in lacustrine food webs. Limnology and Oceanography 62: 592 - 605.
- Rhoades, C. C., J. H. McCutchan, Jr., **L. A. Cooper, D. W. Clow, **T. M. Detmer, J. S. Briggs, J. D. Stednick, T. T. Veblen, *R. M. Ertz, G. E. Likens, and W. M. Lewis, Jr. 2013. Biogeochemistry of Beetle Kill: Explaining a Weak Nitrate Response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110: 1756-1760.
- **Bradburn, M. J., W. M. Lewis, Jr., and J. H. McCutchan. Jr. 2012. Comparative adaptations of Aphanizomenon and Anabaena for nitrogen fixation under weak irradiance. Freshwater Biology 57: 1042-1049.
- **Segura, C., J. H. McCutchan, Jr., W. M. Lewis, Jr., and J. Pitlick. 2011. The influence of channel bed disturbance on algal biomass in a Colorado mountain stream. Ecohydrology 4: 411-421.
- Lewis, W. M., Jr., and J. H. McCutchan, Jr., 2010. Ecological responses to nutrients in streams and rivers of the Colorado mountains and foothills. Freshwater Biology 55: 1973-1983.
- Higgins T. M., J. H. McCutchan, Jr. and W. M. Lewis, Jr. 2009. Quantifying riverine sediment denitrification rates in situ with a novel portable hyporheic chamber. Internationale Vereinigung für Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie: Verhandlungen 30: 809-812.
- McCutchan, J. H., Jr., and W. M. Lewis, Jr. 2008. Spatial and temporal patterns of denitrification in an effluent-dominated plains river. Internationale Vereinigung für Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie: Verhandlungen 30: 323-328.
- Higgins, T. M., J. H. McCutchan, Jr., and W.M. Lewis, Jr. 2008. Nitrogen ebullition in a Colorado plains river. Biogeochemistry 89: 367-377.