Department: Mechanical Engineering
Research: Soot, combustion, black carbon, climate change, carbon black
Office Location: ECOT 238
Lab Location: ECME 1B368
Honors and Distinctions:
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Fellow, The Optical Society
- Associate Editor, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute
- Inductee, Alameda County Women’s Hall of Fame
- K. O. Johansson, M. P. Head-Gordon, P. E. Schrader, K. R. Wilson, and H. A. Michelsen, "Resonance-stabilized hydrocarbon-radical chain reactions may explain soot inception and growth", Science 361, 997-1000 (2018) DOI: 10.1126/science.aat3417.
- K. O. Johansson, F. El Gabaly, P. E. Schrader, M. F. Campbell, and H. A. Michelsen, "Evolution of maturity levels of particle surface and bulk during soot growth and oxidation in a flame", Aerosol Sci. Technol. 51(12), 1333-1344 (2017) DOI: 10.1080/02786826.2017. 1355047.
- K. O. Johansson, T. Dillstrom, M. F. Campbell, M. Monti, F. El Gabaly, P. E. Schrader, D. M. Popolan-Vaida, N. K. Richards-Henderson, K. R. Wilson, A. Violi, and H. A. Michelsen, "Formation and emission of large furans and oxygenated hydrocarbons from flames", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 113, 8374-8379 (2016) DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1604772113.
- R. P. Bambha and H. A. Michelsen, "Effects of aggregate morphology and size on laser-induced incandescence and scattering from black carbon (mature soot)", J. Aerosol Sci. 88, 159-181 (2015) DOI: 10.1016/j.jaerosci.2015.06.006.
- H. A. Michelsen, C. Schulz, G. J. Smallwood, and S. Will, "Laser-induced incandescence: Particulate diagnostics for combustion, atmospheric, and industrial applications", Progress Energy Combust. Sci. 51, 2-48 (2015) DOI: 10.1016/j.pecs.2015.07.001.