Decide which of the following changes are being requested (select only one):
- Reclassify position from classified to exempt professional – no salary increase requested
- Reclassify position from classified to exempt professional – salary increase requested
- Position upgrade within the classified system – salary increase requested
- New position
If a new position is being requested, the unit head (department head, program director, or one of the deans) should send Lynn Melms a short email describing the proposed position. Things to address include:
- What is driving the need for this position?
- Why is filling this position urgent or critical?
- Where will the position be physically located?
- How will the position be funded?
- Attach the memo to a draft position description and org chart showing where the proposed position fits within the department.
Reclassification or Upgrade
If a position reclassification or upgrade is being requested, please follow the steps below.
If this is a request to change a position from classified staff to professional exempt with no salary increase, then steps 1 can be streamlined to be simply a notification to Lynn Melms that the unit is requesting a position be changed from classified staff to professional exempt without a salary increase. Step 6 is also not needed.
- If a promotion is being requested, the unit head (department head, program director, or one of the deans) should send Lynn Melms a short email describing the request and rationale. Things to address include:
- Has the job assignment changed significantly? Be specific; identify new or expanded job duties.
- What additional skills or training were obtained by the employee in order to take on these new job duties?
- Who had previously handled these job duties?
- Has your unit budgeted for a higher salary for the employee?
- Please note that classified employees should not report to someone making a lower salary. Will a promotion that includes a salary increase lead to a possible need to change the reporting structure of your unit?
- The unit head will be provided with appropriate materials to help guide the process, such as template job descriptions/duties for similar positions in the college and the salary range for the requested job title.
- The unit head should submit a revised PDQ (classified staff) or job description (exempt staff) along with a proposed salary adjustment for a promotion-based raise.
- The oversight committee will review the revised PDQ or job description and work with the employee, supervisor, and unit head if necessary so that the final version reflects the responsibilities and duties in a way that will be accurately interpreted by HR.
- The revised PDQ or job description will be forward by the College to HR for review and approval.
- If the promotion is approved, the oversight committee will review the requested salary adjustment along with comparisons to other staff having similar duties, experience and performance, and make a recommendation to the Dean for final approval.