Alex has been working as a Graduate Advisor in Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering since September 2019. Her background is in higher education and adult education. Alex was born in Boulder, and got her undergraduate degree from CU Boulder. She has a Master’s degree in Art History from the University of Illinois – Urbana Champaign, and hopes to complete her dissertation (and thus her PhD) in the History of Art and Architecture from the University of California-Santa Barbara within the next year or two.

What has been your favorite work or personal project so far?

When I was in my PhD program at UCSB (Hist of Art and Architecture) I was frequently a TA for Islamic Art and Architecture (my focus area). Our students always had trouble distinguishing the different military dynasties and their architectural styles – basically, during the early medieval period, the Middle East broke into a series of princedoms/sultanates ruled by dynastic leaders, rather than by  a central authority, the caliph, in Baghdad/Damascus. Anyway, it was difficult for the students to keep track of the family names, the city centers, and the styles – all which were important for how my professor/advisor was teaching the course (socioeconomic and cultural impact of art/architecture). So, I created a diagram and study guide that helped students distinguish and identify the key features of each dynasty. I spoke with my advisor the other day and she said she still uses my study guide and some of my lecture slides – this really touched me. I miss teaching frequently, it’s good to hear I may still be having an impact. 

Alex Schultz What’s something most people don’t know about you?

I am a private person, so I’d wager there’s plenty. But one thing I’m very happy for people to know is that I am an avid (practically obsessive) reader. I consume literature like candy, and I’m always delighted to talk about it with others. My favorite genres and some recent reads are: horror (Victor LaValle, The Changeling), memoir (Roxane Gay, Tiffany Haddish, Patti Smith), gen/literary fiction (Jesmyn Ward, Sing Unburied Sing!; Madeline Miller, Circe). I will talk books any day, any time; please share your recommendations! 

One thing you’re willing to spend way too much on...

Books! I have a large library, something I learned from my parents. My father has a beautiful collection of ancient Greek and Latin illuminated book facsimiles (mostly religious texts). I like to buy used books, especially obscure diaries and memoirs. 

Which TV show do you never miss?

RuPaul’s Drag Race. I love the pageantry of drag, and the stories of the performers.

Famous person you would love to meet. 

If Freddie Mercury or David Bowie were still around, those would be my top two. Also these Buffalo Bills I keep hearing about - they keep losing and making my husband useless for 6 months out of the year. 

What do you most like to do to unwind?

I do a lot of yoga to relax (it’s so Boulder, I know), I’ve been practicing for almost 18 years. I also really enjoy hanging out with my sister and watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 reruns. We usually use the occasion to talk about other things, it provides us a safe space to unpack what’s going on in our lives.