After more than 15 years of service as the Executive Assistant to Adams State University’s Presidents and Board of Trustee members, James joined the University of Colorado Boulder in September 2019 as the Assistant to the Chair in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering. James serves as the department’s lead event coordinator and provides administrative support to faculty, staff and students as well as being the first point of contact for the front office. James and his wife Nicole, who works at Norlin Library, both enjoy the Boulder area and what it has to offer. James’ personal interests are cooking, gardening, hiking, camping, attending live musical performances and traveling. 

James Trujillo on a hikeWhat is your motto?

My motto is taken from my favorite book, “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee. “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” It helps me to understand and to remember to be considerate of other people’s perspectives.

If a genie granted you a wish, what would you wish for?

I have thought of this scenario many times and, sadly, my wife reminds me there would be “no wishing for more wishes.” Since I can’t have unlimited wishes, one of my wishes would be to have the ability to fund a foundation that would provide access to musical instruments to children of all ages in rural schools. I believe music can have a lasting positive effect on an individual. I would like to have the ability to offer a child the opportunity to play an instrument, especially at an early age, where otherwise they may not have the opportunity due to budget cuts in school music programs or the family’s inability to purchase an instrument. Access to music for all would be my wish!

Who would you most like to meet and why?

I would like to meet Tom Hanks. To me he has always seemed to be an honest, genuine and caring individual. He’s just a nice guy and I’d like to meet him and have a conversation. 

What do you most like to do to unwind?

I enjoy listening to music. It helps me relax at the end of a long day. While I enjoy many genres, especially music from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s, I ultimately find myself returning to the soothing effects of classical music.

What is the best advice you have ever been given?

A very wise man (my father) told me to “measure twice, cut once.” I use this as my mantra and apply it to everyday life—understand the situation, make a plan and before moving forward, make sure nothing has changed.  

Which TV show do you never miss?

I try not to miss the evening news. I like to keep current on daily events and listen to NPR in the morning and watch NBC Nightly News at night. 

Your coworkers can always count on you to...

I was recently told by a coworker that I always have a cheerful disposition and can count on me to have a smile every day.