MA+ Teacher Licensure in Math or Science

The MA+ Math or Science teacher licensure programs lead to a Colorado initial teacher licensure in secondary (grades 7th-12th) Math or Science education plus a Master’s of Arts in education in Curriculum and Instruction

This program is for candidates who have earned a bachelor’s degree within the liberal arts from an accredited institution of higher education and who want to elaborate and deepen the close connections between fieldwork and coursework to become a teacher.

 Deadline to apply for fall admission is January 10, 9:59pm MST

Admissions Requirements

This program offers an efficient and experiential route to earning a Master's degree with your teaching licensure. To be eligible for admission to the MA+ program, applicants must meet all of the requirements below. Please note, satisfying the minimum criteria does not guarantee acceptance.

To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the following:

  1. Hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
  2. Minimum 3.00 GPA cumulatively among all institutions attended. Applicants must also have a 3.0 GPA in all content area coursework. Please note, GRE Scores are not required for the MA+ program 
  3. If content coursework is not completed by the start of the program, up to nine (9) semester credit hours may be completed during the program.  All content coursework must be completed prior to the start of the second fall of the program, before student teaching.
  4. A completed program application with all required documents, including documentation of 25 hours of youth experience

 For more information about courses and program requirements, visit the CU Boulder Course Catalog

Application Process

Please follow the instructions within the application and upload required documents. 

You will need to submit:

  1. The online MA+ Teacher Licensure Application
    Application Tips: 
    • Choose first time user and create an account by following the directions.
    • Once logged in, choose start new application. 
    • Complete personal background section to move on to other parts of the application
    • Under program details choose: Department/Program: Curriculum and Instruction; Degree: Curriculum and Instruction MA; Subplan/Track: Choose from Secondary Science or Secondary Math; and Entry Term: Fall
  2. Unofficial Transcripts from each undergraduate and graduate institution that you have ever attended. More information about how to upload transcripts. Only after you are recommended for admission, will you need to provide official transcripts. Official Transcripts must be submitted by July 1. Electronic Transcripts (unofficial and official) may be sent directly to
  3. Three letters of recommendation, preferably from a college-level instructor, professor, graduate student instructor, lab instructor, or a teaching assistant. As an alternative, a letter can be provided by an employer who can provide anecdotal evidence regarding: your written and oral communication skills, analytical reasoning, and/or the ability to read complex material.
  4. A Personal Statement of 1,000 words addressing each of the following:
    1. Why you want to become a (level/subject) teacher and why now.
    2. Description of a powerful learning experience in your life and how it might inform your own teaching in the future.
    3. Reflection on personal strengths (e.g. intellectual passion, academic abilities, disposition to work with youth and professional colleagues) and lived experiences that you will build upon to reach and teach all learners.
  5. The Youth Experience Verification Form documenting 25 hours of youth interaction within the past five years and within the age group you would like to teach.

Tip: Letters of recommendation may not count towards the youth experience requirement. Youth Experience Verifications must be submitted as an additional application item.

Tip: Unacceptable youth experiences are any form of peer counseling performed in high school, any work as a babysitter or nanny, any experience supervised by a relative or friend, and any experience involving your own children, relatives, or a friend’s children. 

For International Students 

International applicants must have a United States social security number before they are eligible to apply. The Colorado Department of Education requires a social security number in order to be licensed to teach in the state of Colorado.

For international transcripts, you must provide a printed course-by-course transcript equivalency report provided by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

Questions can be directed to the School of Education at 303-492-6555 or

Submitting Materials

The MA+ Teacher Licensure Application and personal statement must be submitted electronically. Electronic submissions of recommendations are preferred. Remember, if you are having letters of recommendation submitted electronically, you need to submit your application earlier than the deadline. By providing your recommenders contact infomation within the application, your contacts will receive an automated email requesting their letter after you have submitted the online application.

 Any materials not submitted electronically (i.e. transcripts, Youth Experience Verification Forms, or print recommendation letters) must be mailed to:

Graduate Admissions
University of Colorado Boulder
3100 Marine St Suite A122
553 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0553

Questions can be directed to the School of Education at 303-492-6555 or


Applications to the MA+ program are only considered for fall admission.

Fall Term Only:

  • January 10, 9:59pm MST 

All application materials must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on the deadline. 

Admissions Decisions

Admission decisions are typically distributed eight weeks after the application deadline. The School of Education will send your official admission decision via email. Please continue to check the email you provided on your application. 

For more information, please contact the School of Education by email at or by phone 303-492-6555.