Published: March 24, 2016
Zach enjoying a moment of shade during a day of research

While I studied abroad in Australia, I had the opportunity to develop and implement my own original research project, which lead me to backpack across the world’s largest sand island, Frasier Island. While studying the habits and interactions of lace monitor lizards and the people on the island, I learned that I truly enjoyed conducting research and discovering original findings. When I returned back to CU from this great experience, I knew I had to continue researching new topics. I teamed up with EBIO faculty member Dr. Tim Seastedt to study the attack rates of invasive thistle seed-head weevils upon native thistles. More specifically, I am interested if these weevil’s are moving higher up in elevation in response to climate change, and therefore endangering many more native thistles. Conducting an EBIO honors thesis has prepared me for the kind of research and work necessary for graduate students, and helps me become a much more competitive applicant when applying to graduate schools in the future.