Published: March 24, 2016
Rachael in a protective bee suit examining a bee on her mask

Rachael Kaspar EBIO Honors Candidate: Graduating in Spring 2016

Honeybee research is the bee’s knees within the EBIO Honors department!

I first considered doing an Honors thesis at the beginning of my college career but thought it out of reach due to having to balance work and school. As time went on, I concluded that if I wanted to pursue a career in science, the best option was to involve myself in undergraduate research. I was fortunate enough to be accepted into the Breed Lab within the EBIO department to research how honeybees socially regulate the temperature of their hive. I have learned more than I could possibly imagine about honeybees and beekeeping, plus I have made so many wonderful connections within the scientific community! Immersing yourself into an honors thesis is a personal challenge that will test your limits and will deepen your understanding about work ethic. Due to wonderful mentoring, I have immensely increased my skills in critical thinking, scientific writing, analytical data problem solving, and confidence in public speaking over the past two years. As graduation approaches, I have decided to pursue a career in science, specifically about organismal and ecological responses to environmental stressors, and I feel exceptionally confident to apply for future jobs and graduate programs. I would recommend to any student who is considering a future in science to pursue an Honors thesis, hands-down.

Manuscripts:

Cook, C., Kaspar, R.E., Flaxman, S., & Breed, M. Rapidly Changing Environment Modulates the Thermoregulatory Fanning Response in Honeybee Groups. In revision, Animal Behavior, 2016. Conference Papers:

Conference Papers:

Kaspar, R. Social learning in the thermoregulatory fanning behavior in honeybees (Apis mellifera L.) 100th Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America; 2015 Nov 14-18; Presentation, Minneapolis, MN.

Kaspar, R., Cook, C., Manaker, L., Durzi, S., & Breed, M. The effects of variable rates of temperature in the thermoregulation fanning behavior of Apis mellifera L. 99th Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America; 2014 Nov 15-19; Poster Presentation, Portland, OR.