Published: July 15, 2015
Lindsey Dougherty

After learning to SCUBA dive, I knew I wanted to pursue a career in biology. The EBIO department at CU Boulder gives a well-rounded background for any biological field and has a very strong ancillary science program. My future plans are to pursue a graduate degree in Marine Biology.

The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program at CU awarded me a grant to study species diversity on artificial reef structures at Lembeh Resort in North Sulawesi, Indonesia this summer, which is an amazing opportunity. CU offers several courses to students interested in aquatic ecosystems, including Coral Reef Ecology, Tropical Marine Ecology, and Limnology. What I like about EBIO is that the program introduces students to many areas of biological study, including everything from soil ecology to evolutionary development, expanding the potential areas students may choose to explore in the future. With field courses, class trips and independent or on-campus research programs, there are endless ways to get involved.