Published: June 19, 2019

This Saturday, CU News Corps Director Chuck Plunkett will speak on the theme of humanity at TEDxMileHigh in Denver.

The talk comes just over a year after Plunkett, the former editorial page editor at The Denver Post, made headlines for critiquing the Post’s hedge fund owners after a series of layoffs and budget cuts ravaged the paper’s newsroom.

Plunkett will join a string of CMCI faculty who have presented their research at TEDx events on and off campus, including fellow Department of Journalism faculty Elizabeth Skewes and Ross Taylor, who presented at TEDxCU in the spring.

Skewes, who is chair of the department, has studied politics for over 30 years as a scholar and former political reporter. In her talk, she spoke about the importance of media literacy—especially during elections—and offered practical steps people can take to ensure they’re consuming quality media.

“Misinformation and disinformation is a huge problem, and one that we are going to face in the next election cycle,” she saidi. “And it’s up to us to do something about it.”

Taylor, an assistant professor of journalism who has traveled the world as a photo and video journalist, spoke about his work documenting people—often during the moments when they are most vulnerable.

His career was shaped, he said, by a moment that happened two decades ago while photographing a little league baseball game.

“It’s right then that I knew that if expressed my purpose more clearly to other people—and that if that intent was clear—they would allow me to document the most intimate moments of their life,” he said. “It’s changed me. I’ve become a more empathetic person. It’s also helped me be a more effective communicator.”

TEDxMileHigh will take place Saturday, June 22, at the Buell Theater. Tickets are available to the public on the TEDxMileHigh website, along with information about other featured speakers.