Published: Nov. 27, 2020
yellow moth on geometric background name drop: Mimesis Documentary Fest

The second annual Mimesis Documentary Festival will present August 4-10th, 2021 in Boulder, Colorado. 

As infectious political anxieties spread across the world, we are acutely reminded that media build power through discourse. In demanding times, it is crucial to provide alternative paths for works that are equally motivated by form, aesthetics, alertness and care.

Mimesis is an immersive theatrical and virtual experience featuring in-person and at-home screenings, workshops, and conversations with documentary artists, scholars, and producers from across the world. 

The Mimesis Documentary Festival is an artist-focused event encompassing short, feature, and expanded nonfiction ranging from traditional, experimental, ethnographic, and regional documentary. We focus on personal, underrepresented, and culturally specific subjects that offer the most profound experiences of art made from life.

MDF is artist-focused, community oriented, and committed to providing a platform for the infinite potential of nonfiction media. The MDF 2021 team will program 80% of the festival from submission-based content, with the remaining 20% reserved for selected special programming. Submissions begin December 4th, 2020 and end May 18th, 2021. The notification date is June 15th, 2021. 

The Mimesis Documentary Festival is made possible by generous support from the College of Media, Communication and Information, the Departments of Anthropology and Critical Media Practices, the Research and Innovation Office, and by your individual contributions