Published: Dec. 7, 2018 By

This article is part of an ongoing series of blog posts written by students who participated in Global Seminar courses last simmer. We hope they give inspitation for and perspective on the summer learning opportunities available at CU Boulder. You can find information about next summer's Global Seminars here.

My trip to Indonesia this summer with CU’s global seminar program was the experience of a life time. I wanted to challenge myself and visit a country that I knew very little about. When I chose this program, I was nervous about being with strangers in a place that was so different from home. However, after traveling for over thirty hours, I knew that I had arrived in a place with immense beauty that I would have a hard time leaving after three weeks.

I was able to travel to places that I never would have been able to without the program and the expertise of the professor. The program takes you to a remote village in the jungle, a surf camp, a bustling Islamic city, and the beautiful island of Bali. The program focuses on building relationships with the local people. The people we met were welcoming and eager to learn from us, while also teaching us how to become better travelers and better global citizens.

I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to broaden their world view and challenge themselves to go outside of their comfort zone. Indonesia is dynamic and full of history, and there is a lot to be explored. This program gives you the opportunity to go to the beach and hang out with monkeys, while also learning cultural ethnography and how to be a tourist. What could be better?