The Center for Asian Studes welcomes all incoming students and invites those interested in continuing an education in Asian Studies to apply for the Asian Studies Major. We have made minor changes to the Asian Studies Major requirements, applicable for those declaring Fall 2012 or later. Students who have declared prior to this may choose between older requirements and new ones, listed below. For a more detailed list of our new requirements, click here.
New Asian Studies Major requirements:
42 credits minimum, 18 of which must be upper division - A&S minimum.
- Asian Language: 4 semesters of a single Asian language, 12 to 20 credits.
- Traditional Asian Civilizations: Students take any 2 of the following introductory courses, focusing on 2 different civilizations, 6 credits minimum, LD.
- Modern Asian Civilizations: Students take 1 course, 3 credits, LD or UD.
- Social Science: Students take 1 course, 3 credits, LD or UD.
- Senior thesis or project: ASIA 4830, 3 credits, or the Honors Thesis Option: students with a 3.5 GPA in Asian Studies and 3.3 GPA overall may apply for this option.
- Electives: Students take at least 3 courses, 9 credits, UD recommended.