The BFA Award for Excellence in Research, Scholarly, and Creative Work celebrates faculty contributions of the highest quality. Emphasis will be on work that may not receive recognition through the usual channels, has an interdisciplinary focus, or is the culmination of long-term achievement in their field.
Award Selection Guidelines:
The BFA is especially interested in research, scholarly, and creative work nominations that include one or more of the following:
The selection committee places a premium on the lucid explanation of the contribution and its broad relevance, appropriate to an engaged, curious audience not necessarily trained in the nominee’s area of specialization. If the candidate’s work has been recognized already by prizes or awards, please include that information. Do not submit samples of published materials.
Nomination Packet Requirements:
Nomination packets MUST include all the following items in this exact order:
- Table of Contents
- You can find it here. Simply check it off as you finish each item to ensure that all nomination packet requirements are met. Once all items are checked off, include this as the first page of your nomination packet.
- Contact Information Sheet
- You must include a page listing the contact information of each person who has contributed a letter of support. Please include their name, institution, title, and e-mail address. A blank template is available here. This sheet has a 1 page maximum.
- Nomination Statement
- Nomination statements may be authored by more than one person. It should be in letter form and addressed to the BFA Selection Committee. Nomination statements have a 2 page maximum.
- Nominee Program Biography
- Please include a short paragraph (less than 200 words) describing the nominee that will be included in the Excellence Awards program if the nominee is selected for the award. Biographies have a 1 page maximum.
- Nominee's Personal Statement
- The nominee's personal statement should address his or her ideas about their research. Personal statements have 2-page maximum.
- Abbreviate Curriculum Vitae
- Nominees are encouraged to adjust their CV to highlight their accomplishments pertinent to their research or creative work. CVs have a 4-page maximum.
- Letters of Support
- Packets must include a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 letters of support that meet the criteria below.
- Internal letters: include a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3 letters of support from University of Colorado Boulder faculty. These letters must be from faculty rostered on the Boulder campus, however they may be from faculty within the nominee’s rostered department or from another unit on the Boulder campus.
- External letters: include a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3 letters from individuals external to nominee’s home department. These letters should be from the extended community and may include:
- CU Boulder faculty who are not rostered in the nominee’s home department
- Faculty outside of CU Boulder (Including faculty from other institutions, or faculty rostered at other CU campuses)
- University administrators, CU alumni and/or students
- Officials or representatives from a company or organization related to the nominee’s research area.
- Requirements for letters of support:
- All letters must be addressed to the nominator, not the nominee
- Each letter has a 2-page maximum
- Letters may be prepared and jointly signed by more than one person
- Recommendations for letters of support:
- Nominators are encouraged, whenever possible, to provide letters that address different facets of the nominee’s research, creative or scholarly work. Nominators may consider soliciting internal and external letters from the individuals best qualified to comment on those areas.
- Please see the selection guidelines above for the areas of research that will be scored by the selection committee.
Packet Submission Instructions:
- The full nomination file may not exceed 23 pages, including the table of contents page. Note: a partial page will count as a full page.
- Materials must be saved as one nomination in a single PDF file titled: NomineeFirstName.NomineeLastName.pdf and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nomination packet submission info:
Submissions are now closed for the 2022 Awards. Stay tuned for updates on nominations for 2023!
Excellence Awardees announced by: 2023 TBD
Excellence Awards Ceremony with Hazel Barnes Keynote: 2023 TBD
If you have any questions about the nomination process contact the BFA office at email@example.com, or call at 303-492-6271
*Turning in a nomination packet on the weekend prior to or on the deadline due date, may not allow for sufficient time to fix any issues with packets. We strongly advise you to turn packets in early, and/or submit a draft for feedback. All packets MUST meet the guidelines listed above in order to be considered complete. This includes total pages in the full packet, total pages for letters, and the number/types of recommendation letters submitted. We are happy to help you determine this prior to the deadline. Feel free to contact us Monday through Friday during business hours.