The VisuaLab, headed by Danielle Albers Szafir, explores the intersection of data science, visual cognition, and computer graphics. Our goal is to model how people make sense of visual information to create better interfaces for exploring and understanding information. We work with scholars from psychology to biology to the humanities to design and implement visualization systems that help drive innovation across a variety of platforms and domains. Our ultimate mission is to facilitate the dialogue between people and technologies that leads to discovery.
In the News
- M. Whitlock & D. Albers Szafir. 2021. Immersive Design Reviews through Situated Qualitative Feedback. In Evaluating User Experiences in Mixed Reality Workshop at the 2021 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2021). (Yokohama, Japan–May 8-13, 2021).
- W. Payne, Y. Bergner, M. West, C. Charp, R. B. Shapiro, D. Albers Szafir, E. Taylor, & K. DesPortes. 2021. danceON: Culturally Responsive Creative Computing for Data Literacy. (to appear) In Proceedings of the 2021 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2021)/ Yokohama, Japan–May 8-13, 2021) [Best Paper Honorable Mention].
- K. Wu, E. Petersen, T. Ahmad, D. Burlinson, E. S. Tanis, & D. Albers Szafir. 2021. Understanding Data Accessibility for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. (to appear) In Proceedings of the 2021 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ‘21). (Yokohama, Japan–May 8-13, 2021) [Best Paper Award]. pdf.
- S. Sandra Bae and Mary Etta West. 2021. Cyborg Crafts: Second SKIN (Soft Keen INteraction). In Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (TEI '21). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 87, 1–3. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3430524.3444705 (Salzburg, Austria (virtual) Feb. 14-19, 2021).
- M. Elliott, C. Xiong, C. Nothelfer, & D. Albers Szafir. 2021. A Design Space of Vision Science Methods for Visualization Research. (to appear) In IEEE Transactions on Visualization.
- K. Reda & D. Albers Szafir. 2021. Rainbows Revisited: Modeling Effective Colormap Design for Graphical Inference. (to appear) In IEEE Transactions on Visualization.
- M. Whitlock, D. Albers Szafir, & Kenny Gruchalla. 2020. HydrogenAR: Interactive Data-Driven Storytelling for Dispenser Reliability. (to appear) In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR), (Virtual–Nov. 9-13, 2020).
- M. Shi, D. Albers Szafir, & E. Alexander. 2020. A Survey of Data and Encodings in Word Clouds. Presented at Digital Humanities (Ottawa, Canada (virtual)– July 22-24, 2020).
- Whitlock M., Mitchell J., Pfeufer N., Arnot B., Craig R., Wilson B., Chung B., & Danielle Albers Szafir. 2020. MRCAT: In Situ Prototyping of Interactive AR Environments. International Conference on Virtual and Mixed Reality (VAMR 2020). (Copenhagen, Denmark, July 22-24, 2020).
- David Burlinson & Danielle Albers Szafir. 2020. Shape size judgments are influenced by fill and contour closure. In Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Vision Sciences Society, (St. Pete Beach, Florida (virtual) –June 19-24, 2020).
- M. Whitlock, S. Smart and D. A. Szafir. 2020. Graphical Perception for Immersive Analytics, 2020 IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces (VR), Atlanta, GA, USA, 2020, pp. 616-625, doi: 10.1109/VR46266.2020.00084. (Atlanta, Georgia (virtual)–March 22-26, 2020). [Best Paper Nominee]
- Whitlock M., Mitchell J., Pfeufer N., Arnot B., Craig R., Wilson B., Chung B., & Danielle Albers Szafir (2020) MRCAT: In Situ Prototyping of Interactive AR Environments. In: Chen J., Fragomeni G. (eds) Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality. Design and Interaction. HCII 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12190. Springer, Cham.
- Muyang Shi, Danielle Albers Szafir & Eric Alexander. "A Survey of Data and Encodings in Word Clouds." Digital Humanities, 2020.
- Matt Whitlock, Keke Wu, & Danielle Albers Szafir. 2019. Designing for Mobile and Immersive Visual Analytics in the Field. Transactions on Visualization & Computer Graphics, 2020. In Proceedings of IEEE VIS 2019. (Vancouver, Canada–October 20-25, 2019).
- Stephen Smart, Keke Wu & Danielle Albers Szafir. 2019. Color Crafting: Automating the Construction of Designer Quality Color Ramps. Transactions on Visualization & Computer Graphics. In Proceedings of IEEE VIS 2019. (Vancouver, Canada–October 20-25, 2019).
- H. Muthukrishnan & D. Albers Szafir. 2019. Using Machine Learning and Visualization for Qualitative Inductive Analyses of Big Data. Machine Learning from User Interaction (MLUI) at IEEE VIS 2019. (Vancouver, Canada–Oct. 20-25, 2019).
- Keke Wu, Shea Tanis, and Danielle Szafir. 2019. Designing Communicative Visualization for People with Intellectual Developmental Disabilities. Visualization for Communication (VisComm) at IEEE VIS 2019. DOI:https://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/zbjhr. (Vancouver, Canada–Oct. 20-25 2019).
- Pruss, D., Fujinuma, Y., Daughton, A.R., Paul, M.J., Arnot, B., Szafir, D.A., & Boyd-Graber, J. (2019). Zika discourse in the Americas: A multilingual topic analysis of Twitter. PLoS ONE, 14.
- E. S. Tanis, D. Albers Szafir, & K. Wu. “Accessible Data: Understanding Visualization Literacy and Graphical Perceptions of People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.” Presented at AAIDD, 2019. (Twin Cities, Minnesota–June 24-27, 2019).
- Stephen Smart and Danielle Albers Szafir. 2019. Measuring the Separability of Shape, Size, and Color in Scatterplots. In Proceedings of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '19). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Paper 669, 1–14. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3290605.3300899 (Glasgow, UK – May 4-9, 2019).
- M. Whitlock & D. Albers Szafir. 2019. Situated Prototyping of Data-Driven Applications in Augmented Reality. In Interaction Design and Prototyping for Immersive Analytics (CHI '19). (Glasgow, UK–May 4-9, 2019).
- J. Muesing, L. Burks, M. Iuzzolino, J. Hatlelid, D. Albers Szafir, & N. Ahmed. 2019. Fully Bayesian Human-Machine Data Fusion for Robust Dynamic Target Surveillance and Characterization. AIAA SciTech Forum. (San Diego, California–Jan. 7-11, 2019).
- H. Song and D. A. Szafir, "Where's My Data? Evaluating Visualizations with Missing Data," in IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 914-924, Jan. 2019, doi: 10.1109/TVCG.2018.2864914.
- Szafir DA. Modeling Color Difference for Visualization Design. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2018 Jan;24(1):392-401. doi: 10.1109/TVCG.2017.2744359. Epub 2017 Aug 29. PMID: 28866544.
- Sarikaya, A., Gleicher, M., & Szafir, D. A. 2018. Design Factors for Summary Visualization in Visual Analytics. Computer Graphics Forum, 37(3), 145–156. http://doi.org/10.1111/cgf.13408