In addition to the positions listed below, anyone interested in working for ATLAS should search CU Boulder Jobs. Those interested in joining the ATLAS faculty should also review the College of Engineering and Applied Science Faculty Careers page for additional information and guidance. The CU Boulder and the ATLAS Institute are committed to sustaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive academic setting and welcome qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Tenure-track faculty position in Creative Technology & Design
The ATLAS Institute at the University of Colorado Boulder seeks a curious, unconventional, polymath tenure-track faculty member in Creative Technology and Design to develop and lead an externally-funded research group, teach undergraduate and graduate courses, and engage in university professional service.
Home to nearly 20 tenured, tenure-track and instructional faculty, and with affiliates across the university, ATLAS hosts 225 undergraduate majors, 70+ masters’ students and 24 PhDs. We cultivate a culture and community of invention working in a variety of domains, for example but certainly not limited to the design and implementation of:
- Materials science and engineering
- Complex engineered systems, including bio-inspired design
- Robotics and human-robot interaction
- Virtual, augmented, mixed reality systems
- Data/information visualization
- Computational materials, geometry and/or fabrication
"Something in Residence"
Are you a visionary thinker and a creative explorer? Do you seek an environment where radical creativity and invention are celebrated? Do you create fascinating things with computation?
If so, the ATLAS Institute's undergraduate Creative Technology and Design program invites you to apply for our “Something in Residence” – an exciting opportunity to transform ingenious ideas into reality through teaching, research, and play.
Join a dynamic community of creative technologists—researchers, artists, engineers, and innovators working together to transform the future.
Pedagogical Practice: Support our academic community by teaching up to two courses related to your expertise and creative practice. (For Spring 2024, the CTD program is specifically looking for creative practitioners with teaching experience in creative computation.)
Creative Practice: Produce cross-disciplinary projects, collaborations, events, and/or other forms of community engagement that go beyond the confines of traditional departments. These may include:
- A semester-long creative project
- Mentorship within an ATLAS Studio/Teaching Lab
- Create and run a community event
- Curation of a workshop series
We seek applicants enthusiastic about pushing the boundaries of creativity and invention.
Ideal candidates have:
- A contagious enthusiasm about sharing your areas of expertise.
- A strong, intrinsic motivation and dedication to making a lasting impact through your creative work.
- Desire to teach creative computation in accessible and imaginative ways.
- A record of high-quality, captivating teaching through interactive, project-based pedagogy.
This residency runs during CU Boulder's academic semesters: Spring (January–May); Fall (August–December)
For Spring 2024, ATLAS seeks applicants for our "Something in Residence" program focused on creative computation and will be accepting applications through December 15, 2023. Applicants will receive a response by December 22.
We will continue to accept applications for future semesters on a rolling basis.
The ATLAS Institute
The BS-CTD Undergraduate Program
Working at ATLAS
The following information is provided as a guide to employment with the ATLAS Institute; it is not a listing of open positions. In addition to appearing at the top of this page, open positions are found in CU Boulder Jobs. Those interested in a faculty position with ATLAS are also encouraged to review the College of Engineering and Applied Science Faculty Careers page for more information and guidance.
CU Boulder and the ATLAS Institute are committed to sustaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive academic setting, and we welcome qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Faculty and Staff Positions
Each semester, the ATLAS Institute hires lecturers to teach a variety of courses to undergraduate and graduate students on topics in engineering, creative technology and design. Lecturers are hired on a semester-by-semester/course-by-course basis and are not permanent faculty, but are nevertheless highly valued members of the ATLAS Institute and participate in academic community activities beyond classroom teaching.
Qualifications: Lecturers must have a graduate degree and/or advanced experience in their field of expertise that qualifies them to teach the particular course(s) for which they are hired.
Compensation: As of January 1, 2024, compensation ranges from $8,034.00 to $9,105.20 per 3-credit course (33% appointment), depending on the teaching assignment and lecturer’s qualifications.
Benefits: Appointments of 50% or greater are eligible for benefits with the exception of retirement benefits as outlined on the Benefit Eligibility Matrix. Lecturers are eligible for prorated employee sick leave, earned monthly. Lecturers are at-will employees and not eligible for tenure.
Examples of topics our lecturers teach include:
- Big Data Architecture
- Computational Foundations
- Physical Computing
- User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX)
- Full-stack Web Development
- Mixed Reality (Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality)
Needs fluctuate from each semester. If you have an interest in teaching with ATLAS, we encourage you to reach out to share your areas of specialization rather than being confined by the list above. Interested applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Assistant Positions
Each semester, the ATLAS Institute engages hourly student assistants to fill a variety of roles. We encourage interested students to email us: email@example.com.
- Assisting students in courses.
- Students who have taken the course previously are preferred.
- Manage students and assist with questions / homework help in the BTU Lab
- Maintain lab including: Reorder, stock supplies, clean and troubleshoot lab equipment and general cleaning
- Teach workshops and facilitate with others teaching workshops
- Administer orientations and train laser masters
- Create content for the lab including social media, documentation, posters and projects
- Assist in maintaining culture creating a welcoming, inclusive and diverse lab environment
- Update ATLAS website
- Curate and post social media
- Take photographs and record video
- Promote upcoming shows in the B2 Center for Media, Arts and Performance
- Promote ATLAS Speaker Series events
- Post ATLAS events to campus calendar
- Edit stories and posts for website
- Photo and video editing
- Graphic design
- Support ATLAS Expo and similar institute events
- Upload and maintain videos on Vimeo and YouTube
- Support email marketing
- Help support undergraduate recruiting as a BS-CTD Ambassador ($19/hr)
- Check-out of materials
- Answering email and phone
- Answering student and visitor questions
- Cleaning and organization
- General equipment setup and maintenance
- Assisting with events hosted at ATLAS
The B2 Tech Staff is a unique team of individuals who are excited to connect with media and cutting edge technology in a variety of production platforms including projection, lighting and sound. The positions will work approximately 10-12 hours per week (some evenings and weekends required). Work-study is preferred.
- Mixing and recording audio
- Programming and operating lighting control systems
- Recording and capturing video/still camera footage
- Projection mapping and image warping
Qualifications: Experience and interest in the following software platforms are encouraged.
- Max MSP
- Dante Controller/Virtual Soundcard
- Pro Tools
- Garage Band
- Touch Designer
ATLAS students can find additional job and internship listings on our Opportunities page.