How This Celebrity Tattoo Artist Created a Tattoo You Can Turn On and Off At Will 

Bang Bang—who has inked the likes of Rihanna and LeBron—teamed up with research scientists to develop a new kind of light-sensitive ink.  
Image may contain Text and Label
Illustration by Michael Houtz; photograph from Getty Images

Nearly everybody I know has at least one tattoo except me. But I am apparently not the only person without ink, because a day does not go by where my inbox does not host at least one press email declaring how to get the look, peddling tattoo stickers in the form of Hailey Bieber’s delicate hand tattoos or Pete Davidson’s more in-your-face styles. They’re meant to cater to people like me—blank canvases who still want to play along—or people who aren’t averse to tattoos, but just haven’t found one they’d be willing to commit to permanently yet.

And that’s what makes Keith “Bang Bang” McCurdy, owner of Bang Bang Tattoo Studios and very famous tattoo artist, very excited to talk to me about his latest innovation in ink. It’s so much cooler than a sticker—it's real tattoo ink that you can “turn on” or off using different wavelengths of UV and white light. He showed me on himself with a small red heart tattoo on his wrist—a few seconds of a white light flashlight and it was gone, and a few seconds in front of a UV flashlight and there it was again. Just like a spell, hence its name: Magic Ink.

Lots of tattoos here—but only the heart is Magic Ink. 

Courtesy of Matt Cooney

Bang (as he's known to his friends and associates) has been quiet about Magic Ink thus far, teasing hints of it on his Instagram, showing only few VIP clients—and now me, in the literal flesh. We met at his glossy Manhattan studio—there's digital screen-wrapped entrance hall, a hovering fish tank above the staircase, poured concrete floors below. Also, lots and lots of abs. Every patron on the Tuesday afternoon of my visit appeared to be a model, or at least a music video extra. (“We get a lot of pretty people in here,” as he put it.)

Bang may be most notable for inking celebrities: Miley Cyrus, Adele, LeBron, Katy Perry, Selena Gomez,  Justin Bieber. It started with Rihanna. “I met this girl who wanted a tattoo. She wanted a little word on her hip,” he said. It was during his early days working downtown. (“It was like tattoo shop, sex shop, tattoo shop, pizza shop, Papaya Dog—grimy”). It was also around the time “Umbrella” dropped, but he just knew that she was a singer, like so many people who move to NY to pursue their dreams. Rihanna liked the tattoo enough to return several times, and they became friends, which opened more doors. Naturally she was one of the first people he showed Magic Ink. Her reaction was apparently similar to mine: “What the fuck?!”

“Tattooing hasn't changed for the most part. Some of the tools have, but the particles are just essentially soot in skin,” he explained. Magic Ink changes the particles. When they are exposed to certain wavelengths of UV light, they activate. And when exposed to other wavelengths of visual field light (like white light), they deactivate. The idea came by way of a team of scientists in the Atlas Institute at University of Colorado. Doctors Carson Bruns and Jesse Butterfield had been laying the groundwork for “tech tattoos,” a way to incorporate their love of ink with biomedical benefits. The original idea behind Magic Ink was to create a “solar freckle,” something that could alert the wearer to the presence of UV light on their skin (and when it’s time to reapply SPF). “They were trying to solve this issue [that] we can't see ultraviolet—insects can—but we can't, and it's dangerous to us,” Bang explained. He immediately realized how much more there was to do with that technology creatively.  

Of course, we are living in a time when tech implants and micro-chipping have gotten some bad PR. (“I hear Black Mirror a lot,” he laughed at one point.) Bang is a believer of skin being the bridge between biology and tech—skin-tech, if you will. When you hear him talk about using an AmEx tattoo to pay for things in the future, it doesn't sound too far off. But as Bang sees it, a tattoo that you can turn on and off isn't so different from regular ink. “Hundreds of millions of people in the world line up for tattoos. We already put things in the body. They just don't have abilities yet.” Bang imagines Magic Ink being used primarily for creative expression, at least for now. But he's looking into how it can be incorporated into cosmetic tattooing: microblading eyebrows you can erase or change shape, freckles you can turn on or off, eyeliner you can “put on” or “take off,” all with light-responsive encapsulated nanotech particles.

True to future-forward philosophy, Magic Ink debuted via NFT auction (sold for 100 ETH, roughly $164,00 at press time). The highest bidder is the owner of the world’s first rewriteable tattoo. Bang is now rolling out the technique with a research set of Magic Ink tattoos on different skin tones and types, mostly comprised of the studio’s artists and VIP clients, and looking to go wider in 2023. 

“People love tattoos, even if they don't have tattoos. Everyone has skin; everyone has this relationship to an idea—like ‘how would I externalize what I internally feel, you know what I mean? ‘How do I do that visually that represents my style, my shape, who I am?’” And while that's always been permanent, now there's a way to make it change.