Establishing CO residency (US Citizens only)

See the Tuition Classification Guide for Nonresident Graduate Students

In order to be considered for residency in Colorado, it is critically important that you take part in a two-step process:

Step 1: Establish ties with Colorado as soon as possible after moving to the state and beginning the Ph.D. program. 

Here are ways to establish ties to Colorado As outlined in the state statutes:

  • Securing permanent housing in Colorado. A lease or deed must show that you have lived in Colorado for one full year prior to the first day of the term for which you wish to prove residency. Actions like returning to a former home during school breaks or seeking employment out of state are inconsistent with that of a Colorado resident.

  • Obtaining a Colorado driver’s license or state-issued ID within 120 days of moving to the state.

  • Registering to vote in Colorado if you plan to vote anywhere.

  • Registering your vehicle(s) in Colorado within 180 days of moving to the state.

  • Filing and paying Colorado income taxes as a part-year or full-year resident depending upon when you moved to the state.

  • Securing employment in Colorado to provide additional evidence of residency.
  • Severing your ties to your former state.

Failure to take the above actions can result in being denied Colorado residency and therefore losing the opportunity (and funding!) to TA and/or RA. Please find more detailed information on the Residency Guidelines page. 

Make an appointment to get a state ID/driver's license:

Step 2: After one year, you must complete the Residency Petition process. 

Please contact for questions on this process.