The department does not allow students to audit our courses without formally enrolling in the course.

Non-degree seeking students can take any of our courses through Continuing Education at CU Boulder. Details about how to enroll, tuition, and more can be found on the Continuing Education website.

Continuing Education Programs:

  • ACCESS enables non-degree students to take Boulder main campus undergraduate or graduate courses for personal or professional development.
  • The High School Concurrent Program is intended for high school students interested in the challenge of completing college courses at the University of Colorado Boulder.
  • The Community Auditors program allows you the opportunity to attend university classes for no academic credit.*

Other CU Boulder Programs:

  • The Senior Auditors program through the CU Boulder Alumni Association provides Colorado residents ages 55 and over the opportunity to attend CU Boulder classes.*
  • ALTEC non-credit language classes are open to community members and CU Boulder affiliates.

*NOTE: With instructor permission, community and senior auditors may register for ALC content courses. However, auditors are not allowed to enroll in our language classes.

Effective Fall 2011
Undergraduate introductory language courses (numbered at the 1000 and 2000 level) are designed for non-native speakers. Fluent speakers of a language are prohibited from enrolling in introductory courses in the language and can be dropped from these courses by the department or by the course instructor. Fluent speakers should consult the department website and this catalog or consult with the course instructor or department language coordinator about eligibility to enroll in upper-division language courses (numbered at the 3000 and 4000 level) before enrolling in such courses. Departments can exclude fluent speakers from upper-division language courses based on course content and/or instructional resources. Speakers who have not formally studied the language but have spoken the language in their home should consult with the associate chair of the language department or the department language coordinator about appropriate placement before enrolling in a language course. This policy pertains to all languages offered by the Department of Asian Languages and Civilizations.

If a student takes a course at a higher level of language acquisition and then drops back to a lower level, the lower level course will not be counted toward the student's degree requirements.  It makes no difference when this occurs; that is, whether the course is taken several years after taking the higher level language course or whether the two courses are taken simultaneously. So, for example, if a student takes CHIN 3110 (Advanced Chinese 1) and drops back to CHIN 2110 and 2120 (Intermediate Chinese 1 & 2), they will not get credit for any/all courses taken at a level lower than CHIN 3110, the student's previous level of completion. *The loss of credit does not mean that the student will lose the grade for the course but the credits will not be counted either toward hours in the major or hours toward the degree. Note that this policy pertains specifically to Foreign Language Courses.*

All students are required to demonstrate third-level proficiency in a single non-English modern or classical language. Students may meet this requirement by

  1. completing a Level III course (typically the third of three consecutive years) of a single non-English language while in high school; 
  2. graduating from a high school that uses a non-English language as its principal mode of instruction, or receiving, in high school, a Colorado or other state-sponsored Seal of Biliteracy; 
  3. passing an appropriate third-semester college course that is part of a three-course sequence of at least 12 semester credit hours, or earning AP or IB credit equivalent to such a course; or
  4. passing a CU Boulder approved proficiency examination. 

Third-semester language courses offered at CU Boulder that meet the Foreign Language Requirement are listed in the section on General Education Requirements in the University Catalog.