To determine the appropriate level of a language course before enrolling, students with experience in that language are required to take a Language Placement Exam:

If you are proficient in a language other than English, you might qualify for the proficiency exam

Effective Fall 2011
Undergraduate introductory language courses (numbered at the 1000 and 2000 level) are designed for non-native speakers. Fluent speakers of a language are prohibited from enrolling in introductory courses in the language and can be dropped from these courses by the department or by the course instructor. Fluent speakers should consult the department website and this catalog or consult with the course instructor or department language coordinator about eligibility to enroll in upper-division language courses (numbered at the 3000 and 4000 level) before enrolling in such courses. Departments can exclude fluent speakers from upper-division language courses based on course content and/or instructional resources. Speakers who have not formally studied the language but have spoken the language in their home should consult with the associate chair of the language department or the department language coordinator about appropriate placement before enrolling in a language course. This policy pertains to all languages offered by the Department of Asian Languages and Civilizations.

If a student takes a course at a higher level of language acquisition and then drops back to a lower level, the lower level course will not be counted toward the student's degree requirements.  It makes no difference when this occurs; that is, whether the course is taken several years after taking the higher level language course or whether the two courses are taken simultaneously. So, for example, if a student takes CHIN 3110 (Advanced Chinese 1) and drops back to CHIN 2110 and 2120 (Intermediate Chinese 1 & 2), they will not get credit for any/all courses taken at a level lower than CHIN 3110, the student's previous level of completion. *The loss of credit does not mean that the student will lose the grade for the course but the credits will not be counted either toward hours in the major or hours toward the degree. Note that this policy pertains specifically to Foreign Language Courses.*

All students are required to demonstrate, while in high school, third-level proficiency in a single modern or classical foreign language. Students who have not met this requirement at the time of matriculation will have a MAPS deficiency. They may make up the deficiency only by passing an appropriate third-semester college course or by passing a CU-Boulder-approved proficiency examination. For more information and to view a list of courses offered at CU-Boulder that satisfy this requirement, please the College of Arts and Sciences core curriculum page.