Prospective & New Students

Welcome to the University of Colorado Boulder. Whether you are attending college for the first time or you are considering applying as a transfer student, our office will aid you in navigating the application process.  The steps you need to take can be broken down into three main categories: applying to the university, applying for financial aid, and applying for your Federal Education benefit. 


How do I apply to the University of Colorado at Boulder?

  • Review the Prospective Student section from the Office of AdmissionsSubmit an application to the university

  • Request that all SAT/ACT scores, high school and college transcripts be sent to the Admissions Office
Applying for GI Bill Benefits

How do I apply for and begin using my Federal Education benefits?

  • Review VA education benefits programs HERE and determine which benefit you eligible for based on your military service or transfer of benefits from your parent to you.
  • To apply for your federal education benefit, submit a Veterans On-line Application (VONAPP) to the Department of Veterans Affairs.  This application will start the process for you to receive your federal education benefit.  All veterans and dependents must complete this application. Once you receive your VA Certificate of Eligibility(CoE) in the mail, you will submit this to the CU-Boulder VA School Certifying Official.  The certification letter from the VA will state what federal education benefits you able to receive.
  • Submit VA Certificate of Eligibility(CoE) and the Request for Enrollment Certification sheet to the CU-Boulder VA School Certifying Office, located in the Center for Community, Fourth Floor, Room S482. 

If you need immediate assistance, please contact:

Veteran Certifying Official at (303) 482-7323

Credit for Military Service

Military Credit

Credit for military schooling is evaluated upon receipt of Form DD 214, Service Separation Certificate, a Joint Services Transcript (JST) or a transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Only work that has received an upper-division baccalaureate recommendation by the American Council on Education (ACE) can be awarded credit. This work, however, is transferred and recorded at the lower-division level. Foreign language credit taken through the State Department, Department of Defense, or Defense Language Institute is assigned the recommended ACE credit. Applicability toward degree requirements is determined by the dean’s office in the college/school to which you have been admitted. Regardless of whether or not you anticipate receiving credit, these transcripts are required if you plan to use any VA educational benefits for which you are eligible.

Exceptions to recognition of regional accreditation:

  1. Transferability is based on the practices of the leading university, as reported to AACRAO, in the state where the institution is located.
  2. CU-Boulder will make the decision on transferability based on the above criteria for institutions within the state of Colorado.
  3. For Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, College Level Examination Program, or Military Credit refer to the detailed criteria stated in the corresponding sections.

For more information, please refer to CU-Boulder's Transfer Credit Policy.

Education Benefits Eligibility

Which Federal Education benefit am I eligible for?

Please review the below education programs that provides basic information on each benefit.  Please click on the link “learn more” which will take you to the Veterans Affairs education website that will give you in depth information on current payment rates and program/chapter information.

Post 9/11 GI Bill and Transfer of Education Benefit (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for veterans with at least 90 days of total service on or after September 11, 2001, or veterans discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  Veterans who qualify for this benefit can also transfer their education benefit to their family members.  The Basic Allowance for Housing rate for Boulder, Colorado is $1815.00 a month.


Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. 

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment – VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The VetSuccess program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VetSuccess offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.  


Survivors and Dependents Assistance (Chapter 35)

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree or certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. 

Selected Reserve / National Guard (MGIB-SR) (Chapter 1606)

The MGIB – Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Reserve programs, as well as the Army and Air National Guard programs. You may use this education assistance program for degree programs, certificate or correspondence courses, cooperative training, independent study programs, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and vocational flight training programs. Remedial, refresher and deficiency training are available under certain circumstances. 

Reserve Education Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.  

Financial Aid and the GI Bill

We encourage all of our veterans to apply for Federal financial aid and scholarships in order to take advantage of all funding sources available and to ensure resources are accessible  should there be any delays in the processing of VA education benefits.

As a student veteran using your federal education benefit, you may be eligible for financial aid assistance.  The University of Colorado-Boulder Office of Financial Aid website will provide you with a wealth of knowledge in applying for assistance.  This website will provide information on how to apply for financial aid, completing the required forms, as well as resources on how much your anticipated education costs may be. 

Here is a link to the scholarship database maintained by Financial Aid.

If you need assistance, you may contact the Financial Aid Office at (303) 492-5091; e-mail  Their location on campus is in the Regent Administrative Center, Room 175.

Lifetime Authorization for COF (College Opportunity Fund)

For Undergraduate In-State Students Only: Beginning fall 2005, the Colorado State Legislature established a new way to provide state tax dollar support for higher education at the undergraduate level.  This method of funding is the College Opportunity Fund (COF), which applies only to undergraduate students paying resident (in-state) tuition.  This is not an automatic process.

For student veterans receiving federal education benefits:  Chapter 30 ( Montgomery GI Bill), Chapter 32 (VEAP), Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), Chapter 35 (Family Member’s Education Assistance), Chapter 1606 (Reserve GI Bill), and Chapter 1607 (REAP) it is highly encouraged that you apply for COF.  This stipend saves the Veterans Administration funds in offsetting the cost of tuition at CU-Boulder. 

For detailed instructions on how to apply, establish CU COF account and monitor your COF, please visit the CU-Boulder COF web page.

Procedures for Students Ordered to Active Duty

Compulsory Service “Called to Active Duty”

The University of Colorado-Boulder cares about your continuing service to our Nation.  In the event you are called to active duty, we have a "Called to Active Duty" system in place to help you make this transition as smoothly as possible.

Residency Requirements

Tuition classification determines if students should have in-state or out-of-state tuition. Your initial tuition classification is determined from information you supply on your application for admission to the university. You may file a petition if you wish to contest out-of-state classification status or if you become eligible for in-state status.


Honorably discharged members of the Armed Forces moving permanently to Colorado qualify for in-state tuition.

Evidence of Domicile

You can establish domicile in Colorado only if you are residing in Colorado with the present intention to reside permanently in the state.  Evidence of Colorado domicile includes actions that in your circumstances would normally be expected of, or that would be characteristic of, any permanent resident.  For example, vehicle registration is relevant only if you have a motor vehicle.  You are expected to take appropriate action on all factors relevant in your circumstances.

Military Members Living in Colorado

To retain domicile during an absence from Colorado due to military orders, military personnel must maintain Colorado as their state of legal residence for tax purposes, and voters must maintain Colorado voter registration. 

Military personnel may retain legal residence in their original state, or they may establish a new legal residence in a state in which they reside due to military orders.  They may not establish domicile in Colorado while residing elsewhere or while being physically present in the State only on a temporary basis.

Persons domiciled in Colorado for one year who enter active duty military service, and who return permanently to Colorado within 6 months of discharge, and their dependents, qualify for in-state tuition regardless of changes of domicile while on active duty.

Exception to the One-year Domicile Requirement

The following link will list the exceptions to the one-year domicile requirement and whether the individual, a child dependent, or spouse qualifies. Also indicated is whether the exception provides for Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF) eligibility and if the student is eligible for resident financial aid programs. Consult tuition classification staff to apply for these exceptions.

Detailed information on in-state and out-of-state tuition rates

Transfer Credits from other Colleges and Universities

Once you've been admitted, the Office of Admissions will perform an initial evaluation of your transfer credit. The final determination of how your transfer credits are applied toward degree requirements will be made at orientation by the dean's office in the college or school to which you've been admitted.

Course work of comparable content and scope to the CU-Boulder curriculum will generally be transferred  if it was completed at colleges or universities accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, or other regional associations at the time the work was completed.  For international colleges or universities, the international equivalent of regional accreditation or Ministry of Education recognition will be considered.

For more information, please refer to CU-Boulder's Transfer Credit Policy.