Published: Oct. 26, 2017

Katie Huey

Katie (Christman) Huey, Class of 2011
BA, Sociology;
Minor, Women & Gender Studies

Katie (Christman) Huey graduated in 2011 with a major in sociology and a minor in women and gender studies. For the last three years, she has been writing a blog 52BeautifulThings.com about a search for ordinary beautiful things in an aching world. Katie recently reached out to us to share some memories of her time at CU that she included in her latest blog post: 

“This last post I wrote about a moment that took place during my commencement from the program in the spring of 2011. I hate to say I can't remember which professor was speaking, but it left an impact. 

I'm a big believer in letting people know when they have influenced my life - so to the team at the Gender Studies program, thank you for instilling this powerful moment in me - a reminder to pause. More importantly though, thank you for shaping my outlook towards the world - may we continue to move towards a more inclusive world full of empathetic critical thinkers. I think that is what your program did for me. 

I will always remember what it felt like to sit in Professor Misri's Feminist Theory class and have my eyes be opened!”

From 52beautifulthings.com:

Rewind six years and I’m sitting in a small theater on a college campus. Black robes swishing on a wooden chair, square cap on my head, chords of accomplishment round my neck. The tassels tickling my fingerprints as I anxiously await my turn across the stage.

A distinguished professor stood at a podium and read from Alice Walker’s book We Are the Ones We Have Been Waiting for: Inner Light in a Time of Darkness. A passage from Chapter 4 "All Praises to the Pause; The Universal Moment of Reflection."

Alice Walker writes, “The moment when something major is accomplished and we are so relieved to finally be done with it that we are already rushing, at least mentally, into The Future. Wisdom, however, requests a pause. If we cannot give ourselves such a pause, the Universe will likely give it to us. Read more…

Read Katie’s full blog post here: https://52beautifulthings.com/2017/10/18/now-now-now/

Huey in 2011

Katie Huey, far right, in the Cottage before the Commencement Ceremony in 2011

Minors 2011

Tiya Trent, Jessica Rios Valencia, Katie (Christman) Huey & Hayley-Marie Hudson
2011 Graduates earning their Minors in WGST