Summer instructor hiring for the 2024 season will begin in the fall. Please check back for details.
K-12 summer camp and high school class instructors teach one or more weeks during the summer season, depending on their interests, availability and schedule. Instructors are typically STEM graduate students or pre-/in-service/retired teachers who are passionate about sharing their interest in STEM with participants of all ages. Instructors deliver programs that have been developed and tested by Science Discovery or, if they're interested in a specific STEM-related topic, they may have an opportunity to work with Science Discovery to develop a new camp or class. Each year, instructors are hired from a wide range of disciplines - including biology, earth science, physics, chemistry, engineering, computer science, art and education.
School Year Instructors
In addition to summer teaching opportunities, Science Discovery also hires instructors for afterschool, district day-off, holiday and homeschool classes. Instructors teach classes designed by Science Discovery staff, containing kid-tested and approved activities, in a variety of formats:
- Afterschool and homeschool classes: Weekly 2-hour sessions over 6-8 weeks
- BVSD district day-off and holiday programs: Single or multi-day, full-day (9am-4pm) programs
- School and Teacher Programs: 1-hour to full-day programs for K-12 classrooms (These programs serve schools, districts, teachers and libraries throughout Boulder, Denver and rural locations throughout the state.)
Temporary instructors for the fall, spring and summer semesters are assigned the working title of Lecturer.
Who We Are
CU Science Discovery is a science education outreach program of the University of Colorado Boulder’s Division of Continuing Education. Each program utilizes CU scientific expertise, equipment, resources and graduate or undergraduate students in order to provide K-12 students and teachers with unique, experiential learning STEM experiences.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Your key responsibilities will be teaching hands-on STEM programs for K-12 youth, in-person, outdoors or a combination of the two.
What You Should Know
These appointments are temporary in nature and for the duration indicated only.
What We Can Offer for Instructors:
- In-Person Instruction:
- Category 1: Teachers in undergraduate degree program: $19 per hour
- Category 2: Teachers with one to two years teaching experience: $21 per hour
- Category 3: Teachers with three to four years of teaching experience: $23 per hour
- Category 4: Teachers with five to six years of teaching experience: $25 per hour
- Category 5: Teachers with seven to ten years of teaching experience: $27 per hour
- Category 6: Teachers with 10 or more years of teaching experience: $29 per hour
- Non-Certified Teachers:
- Category 2 = 2-4 years with Science Discovery
- Category 3 = 5-6 years with Science Discovery
- Category 4 = 7-8 years with Science Discovery
- Category 5 = 11-12 years with Science Discovery
- Category 6 = 12 years or more with Science Discovery
Temporary instructor appointments are eligible for accrued sick time. Sick time is earned on a prorated basis, and is calculated at 24 hours of accrued sick time per academic term for full time (100%) appointments or a combination of appointments during the same term of employment.
A combination of appointments of 50% or above for a semester are eligible for health benefits.
- Instructors are typically graduate students in STEM (or related) fields, in-service or retired STEM teachers.
What You Will Need
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to be successful in the role
- Teaching experience or work equivalency to the course material
- Love of science and teaching
- Enjoy working with children of all ages
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you have questions regarding instructor positions, please contact Thia Munoz via email.