Are there any student groups that provide a community for religious studies students?

SOSR (Student Organization for the Study of Religion) is a student organization at the University of Colorado created to provide a forum for graduate and undergraduate students to participate in the Department of Religious Studies.

Can I apply for a UROP in the Department?

Majors in Religious Studies can apply for individual research grants or assistantships to pursue independent study of a particular area of interest. Visit the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) for more information.

How can I go about graduating with Honors?

Graduating with departmental honors involves completing a Honors Thesis, allowing you to pursue independent research in the field of religious studies in a specialized area of your choosing under the guidance of a faculty member. Find more information about graduating with departmental honors, or see the honors program website for information on graduating with General Honors vs. Departmental Honors.

Who do I go to for advising in the department?

If you have any questions about your course of study in the Department of Religous Studies or if you have technical questions about fulfilling CU requirements, contact the Advising Center's Advisor for Religious Studies, Allison Frey. You are also welcome to contact individual professors with questions about coursework in the department, or the Director of Undergraduate Studies. See department faculty pages for contact information and office hours.


Where can I find information about the specifications for the M.A. thesis?

The updated specifications for the M.A. thesis can be found on the Graduate School website here.

What are the research areas of current graduate students in the department?

Our graduate students have a wide range of research interests. See the graduate student pages for a listing of current students and the focus of study for each student.

What are some ways to get involved in the graduate student community at CU Boulder?

SOSR (Student Organization for the Study of Religion) is a student organization at the University of Colorado created to provide a forum for graduate and undergraduate students to participate in the department of religious studies.  

What kinds of library resources are available at CU Boulder in Religious Studies?

Norlin Library contains access to a variety of print and electronic resources including primary sources, religious texts, academic examinations of religion and theory, and more. Please visit the subject guide for Religious Studies for a listing of the most helpful resources or contact the Religious Studies librarian, Megan Welsh (Megan.Welsh@colorado.edu), for research help. Visit the University Libraries’ website to begin exploring library resources.

What is TOEFL? How do I know if I need to take it?

TOEFL stands for “Test of English as a Foreign Language” and is required of all international graduate applicants. You are not required to take the TOEFL if your native language is English or if you have completed one year of full time study at a U.S. institution or at an institution where English is the native language at the time of your application and within two years of your desired admission term.  See the University of Colorado’s International Graduate Admission Requirements for more information.

What have some M.A. graduates gone on to do with their degrees? What is the department's Ph.D. program placement rate for M.A. students after graduation?

The University of Colorado’s M.A. program in Religious Studies has a very good reputation for preparing students to enter top quality Ph.D. programs. Several of our graduates have gone on to Ph.D.s in Religious Studies at Berkeley, Michigan, University of California at Santa Barbara, Arizona State, and the University of Florida. Others have chosen Ph.D. programs in such fields as Journalism, Cultural Geography, or Asian Studies. Some graduates opt for careers in law, journalism, teaching at the high school level, or nonprofit/NGO work. The program’s emphasis on theoretical approaches to the study of religion builds and sharpens skills in critical thinking and analysis that translate well to a number of careers beyond the academy. Faculty advisors work closely with students to determine their post-graduation aspirations and advise them accordingly.

How do I apply for the M.A. program in Religious Studies at CU Boulder?

MA applicants must apply online to the Graduate School. Be sure to submit two official transcripts with your application.  Transcripts must be sent directly from your school’s registrar in order to be considered official.


How do I find out about departmental news and events?

Please visit News & Events for the latest Religious Studies department news and upcoming events.

Where are faculty and graduate student mailboxes located?

Faculty mailboxes are located in Humanities 273, and graduate student mailboxes are located in Humanities 216.  If you are a student turning in work to your Professor's or TA’s mailbox, make sure you put both your name and the name of your Professor or TA on your assignment.

What are TA office hours?

TA office hours change each semester. For the most current information, visit the Teaching Assistant Roster.

What are faculty office hours?

Faculty office hours change each semester. For the most current information, visit the Faculty Roster.

What are department staff office hours?

Visit the staff webpage for contact information and office hours.