The Administration of the University of Colorado Boulder Campus is committed to protecting its students, faculty, staff, the public and the environment. Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) is responsible for developing and maintaining programs which promote health, safety and sound environmental management. EH&S program elements include, but are not limited to:
- Hazardous Materials and Waste Management
- Radiation Safety and Health Physics
- Environmental Compliance
- Laboratory and Occupational Safety
- Industrial Hygiene, Air and Water Quality
- Asbestos and Lead Management
- Emergency Planning
Each of us should consider safety and environmental stewardship a personal responsibility. In addition, managers and employees at all levels must be mindful of safety in their areas, and take appropriate measures to protect people and the environment. EH&S is responsible for assisting the Campus in this endeavor by providing the following functions:
- Performing health and safety inspections and surveys, making sure that Campus operations comply with local, state, federal and other applicable health, safety and environmental regulations and standards.
- Reviewing and approving Campus projects and activities as they relate to applicable health, safety and environmental regulations and standards.
- Developing and Issuing Policies/Procedures that clarify environmental health and safety issues and responsibilities at UCB.
- Acting in an advisory capacity to students, faculty and staff in matters pertaining to safety, health, and environmental compliance.
- Acting as liaison between UCB and local, state, federal and other agencies in matters pertaining to safety, health, and environmental compliance.
- If necessary, suspend activities, operations and close areas where imminently dangerous conditions and/or non-compliance with regulatory requirements exist.
Your cooperation is required and appreciated in promoting the UCB Safety Policy. The Director and Staff of Environmental Health and Safety can be reached at (303) 492-6025 to discuss and assist you with concerns about safety, health and environmental protection. The Vice Chancellor for Administration can be reached at (303) 492-7523.
The University of Colorado at Boulder will comply with all applicable environmental health and safety rules and regulations. Environmental Health and Safety Department (EH&S) is responsible for implementation and enforcement of the Campus environmental, health and safety program. Accordingly, the Director of EH&S has been delegated the authority to issue related policies and procedures for the Boulder Campus and, if necessary, to suspend activities and/or close areas that are deemed to be unsafe, to human health or the environment, and/or non-compliant with Federal, State or Local regulations.
EH&S will consult with the respective VC prior to or immediately following the issuance of policies/procedures or curtailment actions taken, based on the circumstances. In addition, the Director of EH&S will interact directly, on a regular basis, with each VC (as well as the Chancellor, as appropriate) on issues involving safety, health and environmental compliance in their respective divisions.
Tuesday, April 4, 2000
Richard L. Byyny, Chancellor
Dave Wergin, Associate Director, Public Safety
James Fadenrecht, Director, Public Safety