Office Hours: Monday 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. • Office: DUAN F513 •
Joseph Maclennan received his B.Sc.(Hons.) in Physics and Electronics from Rhodes University, South Africa, in 1980, and his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Colorado in 1988. He then spent five years in the Physical Chemistry Department at the University of Mainz in Germany, the first two as a Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow. In 1994 he returned to Boulder to rejoin the Liquid Crystal Physics group at the University of Colorado. His research interests center on determining the structure and electro-optic properties of liquid crystals, including bent-core and de Vries type materials, and on understanding the textures and phase transitions of freely-suspended liquid crystal films, including the interactions and ordering behavior of topological defects and islands and the hydrodynamics of liquid droplets. Self-assembled monolayers and topographically patterned surfaces are being studied as novel liquid crystal alignment surfaces. He has developed extensive computer code for modeling the optical response of liquid crystals in applied fields and the reorientation dynamics of azo-SAMs.
- "Diastereomeric liquid crystal domains at the mesoscale," D. Chen, M. Tuchband, B. Horanyi, E. Korblova, D. M. Walba, M. A. Glaser, J. E. Maclennan, and N. A. Clark, Nature Communications 6, 7763 [10 pages] (2015). DOI: 10.1038/ncomms8763
- "Field alignment of bent-core smectic liquid crystals for analog optical phase modulation," Y. Shen, L. Goodhew, R. Shao, M. Moran, E. Korblova, D. Walba, N. A. Clark, J. E. Maclennan, and P. Rudquist, Applied Physics Letters 106 (19), 191101 (2015). DOI: 10.1063/1.4919805
- "Mutual Diffusion of Inclusions in Freely Suspended Smectic Liquid Crystal Films," Z. Qi, Z. H. Nguyen, C. S. Park, M. A. Glaser, J. E.
- Maclennan, N. A. Clark, T. Kuriabova, and T. R. Powers, Physical Review Letters 113 (12), 128304 (2014). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.128304
- "Chiral heliconical ground state of nanoscale pitch in a nematic liquid crystal of achiral molecular dimers," D. Chen, J. H. Porada, J. B. Hooper, A. Klittnick, Y. Shen, M. R. Tuchband, E. Korblova, D. Bedrov, D. M. Walba, M. A. Glaser, J. E. Maclennan, and N. A. Clark, PNAS 110 (40), 15931–15936 (2013).
- "Nanoconfinement of guest materials by helical nanofilament networks of bent-core mesogens,” D. Chen, C. Zhu, H. Wang, J. E. Maclennan, M. A. Glaser, E. Korblova, D. M. Walba, J. A. Rego, E. A. Soto-Bustamante, and N. A. Clark, Soft Matter 9, 462–471 (2013). DOI: 10.1039/c2sm25997d
- "Athermal photofluidization of glasses," G. J. Fang, J. E. Maclennan, Y. Yi, M. A. Glaser, M. Farrow, E. Korblova, D. M. Walba, T. E. Furtak, and N. A. Clark, Nature Communications 4, 1521 [10 pages] (2013). DOI: 10.1038/ncomms2483
- "Two-dimensional Microrheology of Freely-Suspended Liquid Crystal Films," A. Eremin, S. Baumgarten, K. Harth, R. Stannarius, Z. H. Nguyen, A. Goldfain, C. S. Park, J. E. Maclennan, M. A. Glaser, and N. A. Clark, Physical Review Letters 107, 268301 (2011). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.107.268301
- "Spontaneous Fluid Ferroelectric Order in a Bent-Core Liquid Crystal of Orthorhombic Smectic Layers," R. A. Reddy, C. Zhu, R. Shao, E. Korblova, T. Gong, Y. Shen, E. Garcia, M. A. Glaser, J. E. Maclennan, D. M. Walba, and N. A. Clark, Science 332, 72–77 (2011). DOI: 10.1126/science.1197248
- "Chiral Isotropic Liquids from Achiral Molecules," L. E. Hough, M. Spannuth, M. Nakata, D. A. Coleman, C. D. Jones, G. Dantlgraber, C. Tschierske, J. Watanabe, E. Körblova, D. M. Walba, J. E. Maclennan, M. A. Glaser, N. A. Clark, Science 25 , 452–456 (2009).
- "Organization of liquid crystals on submicron scale topographic patterns with fourfold symmetry prepared by thiolene photopolymerization-based nanoimprint lithography," Y. W. Yi, V. Khire, C. N. Bowman, J. E. Maclennan, and N. A. Clark, Journal of Applied Physics 103, 093518 (2008).
- "Electric-Field-Driven Deracemization," A. Kane, R.-F. Shao, J. E. Maclennan, L. Wang, D. M. Walba, and N. A. Clark,ChemPhysChem 8 , 170 – 174 (2007).
- "Direct Measurement of Interaction Forces between Islands on Freely Suspended Smectic C Films using Multiple Optical Tweezers," A. Pattanaporkratana, C. S. Park, J. E. Maclennan, and N. A. Clark, Ferroelectrics 344 , 71 (2006); also in www.e-lc.org .
- "Electric Field Induced Chirality Flipping in Smectic Liquid Crystals," M. Nakata, R.-F. Shao, J. E. Maclennan, W. Weissflog, and N. A. Clark, Physical Review Letters 96 , 067802 (2006).
- "Polarization-Modulated Smectic Liquid Crystal Phases," D. A. Coleman, J. Fernsler, N.Chattham, M. Nakata, Y. Takanishi, E. Korblova, D. R.Link, R.-F.Shao, W.G. Jang, J. E. Maclennan, O. Mondain-Monval, C. Boyer, W. Weissflog, G. Pelzl, L.-C. Chien, J. Zasadzinski, J. Watanabe, D. M. Walba, H. Takezoe, and N. A. Clark, Science 301 , 1204-1211 (2003).
- "Control of Molecular Orientation in Electrostatically Stabilized Ferroelectric Liquid Crystals," D. Coleman, D. Mueller, N. A. Clark, J. E. Maclennan, R.-F. Shao, S. Bardon, and D. M. Walba, Physical Review Letters 91 , 175505 (2003).