Office: DUAN F221
My current research is in the field of experimental high-energy heavy ion physics. The current theory of strong interactions (quantum chromodynamics QCD) predicts that nuclear matter at high density (higher than at the center of the Sun) and high temperature (hotter than at the center of the Sun) will undergo a phase transition, where the quarks and gluons are no longer confined to individual nucleons. The formation and experimental detection of such a state (called the quark-gluon plasma or QGP) is the primary objective of high-energy nuclear physics.
Most of my present work is on the PHENIX experiment which began running in the summer of 2000 at the Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) Relativistic Heavy-Ion Collider (RHIC). I am currently the Trigger Coordinator for the PHENIX experiment. The experiment and accelerator are currently undergoing major upgrades for new measurement capabilities and higher luminosities. The next decade of measurements should provide exciting new discoveries and precision measurements of the properties of the quark gluon plasma. There is also a new program starting at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN to study this state of matter at even higher temperatures.
Biological Physics: Recently I developed an interest in understanding how mutations in simple organisms interact to balance genetic diversity and evolutionary selection. This work is now published in the journal Genetics linked here.
- Identified charged hadron production in p+p collisions at sqrt(s)=200 and 62.4 GeV. A. Adare et al. Feb 2011. 32pp. Temporary entry
e-Print: arXiv:1102.0753 [nucl-ex] PDF
- Quark-Gluon Plasma at RHIC and the LHC: Perfect Fluid too Perfect? James L. Nagle, Ian G. Bearden, William A. Zajc, . Feb 2011. 11pp. Temporary entry e-Print: arXiv:1102.0680 [nucl-th] PDF
- Theoretical Modeling of J/psi Yield Modifications in Proton (Deuteron) - Nucleus Collisions at High Energy. J.L. Nagle, A.D. Frawley, L.A.Linden Levy, M.G. Wysocki, . Nov 2010. 12pp. Temporary entry e-Print: arXiv:1011.4534 [nucl-th] PDF
- Heavy Ion Initial Conditions and Correlations Between Higher Moments in the Spatial Anisotropy. James L. Nagle, Michael P. McCumber, . Nov 2010. 4pp. Temporary entry e-Print: arXiv:1011.1853 [nucl-ex] PDF
- Azimuthal correlations of electrons from heavy-flavor decay with hadrons in p+p and Au+Au collisions at sqrt(s_NN)=200 GeV. A. Adare et al. Nov 2010. 16pp. Temporary entry e-Print: arXiv:1011.1477 [nucl-ex] PDF
- Suppression of away-side jet fragments with respect to the reaction plane in Au+Au collisions at sqrt(s_NN) = 200 GeV. By PHENIX Collaboration (A. Adare et al.) Oct 2010. 15pp. Submitted to Phys.Rev.C e-Print: arXiv:1010.1521 [nucl-ex] PDF
- Cold Nuclear Matter Effects on J/psi Yields as a Function of Rapidity and Nuclear Geometry in Deuteron-Gold Collisions at sqrt(s_NN) = 200 GeV. A. Adare et al. Oct 2010. 6pp. Temporary entry e-Print: arXiv:1010.1246 [Unknown] PDF
- Cross section and double helicity asymmetry for $\eta$ mesons and their comparison to neutral pion production in p+p collisions at $sqrt(s)=200 GeV$. By PHENIX Collaboration (A. Adare et al.). Sep 2010. (Published Feb 1, 2011). 10pp. Published in Phys.Rev.D83:032001,2011.
e-Print: arXiv:1009.6224 [hep-ex] PDF
- Event Structure and Double Helicity Asymmetry in Jet Production from Polarized p+p Collisions at sqrt(s) = 200 GeV. A. Adare et al. Sep 2010. 18pp. Long author list - awaiting processing. e-Print: arXiv:1009.4921 [hep-ex] PDF
- Measurement of Transverse Single-Spin Asymmetries for J/psi Production in Polarized p+p Collisions at sqrt(s) = 200 GeV.
By PHENIX Collaboration (A. Adare et al.). Sep 2010. (Published Dec 1, 2010). 13pp. Published in Phys.Rev.D82:112008,2010. e-Print: arXiv:1009.4864 PDF