Office: JILA A805
My research includes quantum-state-resolved laser spectroscopy and dynamics of van der Waals and hydrogen-bonded clusters, time-resolved kinetics of atmospheric radicals, crossed-beam studies of state-to-state inelastic and reactive dynamics, high-resolution laser spectroscopy of jet-cooled radicals and molecular ions, nonlinear frequency generation of narrowband tunable infrared laser sources, vibrationally mediated photochemistry in size/quantum state-selected clusters, alignment phenomena, collision dynamics of gases with thin films, and development of atomic force/scanning-tunneling methods for near-field-scanning optical microscopy (NSOM) of molecules on surfaces.
- E. D. Holmstrom, N. F. Dupuis and D. J. Nesbitt, “Pulsed IR heating studies of single-molecule DNA duplex dissociation kinetics and thermodynamics,” Biophys. J. 106, 220-231 DOI: 10.1016/j.bpj.2013.11.008 (2014).
- A. Zutz and D. J. Nesbitt, “Nonadiabatic Spin-Orbit Excitation Dynamics in Quantum- State-Resolved NO(2Π1/2) Scattering at the Gas-Room Temperature Ionic Liquid Interface,” J. Phys. Chem. C. 119, 8596-8607, DOI:10.1021/jp509522c (2015).
- Y. Liu, E. Holmstrom, J. Zhang, P. Yu, J. Wang, M. A. Dyba, D. Chen, J. Ying, S. Lockett, D. J. Nesbitt, A. Ferre-D’Amare, R. Sousa, J. R. Stagno, and Y.-X. Wang, “Synthesis and applications of RNAs with position-selective labelling and mosaic composition,” Nature 522, 368-372, DOI:10.1038/nature14352 (2015)
- E. D. Holmstrom, N. F. Dupuis, and D. J. Nesbitt, “Kinetic and thermodynamic origins of osmolyte-influenced nucleic acid folding,” J. Phys. Chem. B. 119, 3687–3696, DOI: 10.1021/jp512491n (2015).
- K. T. Early and D. J. Nesbitt, “Ultrafast Laser Studies of Two-Photon Fluorescence Intermittency in Single CdSe/ZnS Quantum Dots,” Nano Lett., 2015, 15, 7781–7787, DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b01139 (2015).
- M. Vieweger, E. D. Holmstrom, and D. J. Nesbitt, “Single-Molecule FRET Reveals Three Conformations for the TLS Domain of Brome Mosaic Virus Genome,” Biophys. J. 109, 2625-2636, DOI: 10.1016/j.bpj.2015.10.006 (2015).
- C.-H. Chang, J. Agarwal, W. D. Allen, and D. J. Nesbitt, “Sub-Doppler infrared spectroscopy and reaction dynamics of triacetylene in a slit supersonic expansion,” J. Chem. Phys. 144, 074301, DOI: 10.1063/1.4940905 (2016)
- A. L. Efros and D. J. Nesbitt, “Origin and control of blinking in quantum dots,” Nature Nanotech. 11, 661-671, DOI: 10.1038/nnano.2016.140 (2016).
- M. Vieweger and D. J. Nesbitt, “Synergistic SHAPE and single-molecule folding studies permit deconvolution of interconverting 2° RNA conformations in dynamic equilibrium under physiological cation conditions,” Biophys. J.
- C.-H.Chang and D. J. Nesbitt, “High resolution spectroscopy of jet cooled phenyl radical: The n1 and n2 a1 symmetry C-H stretching modes,” J. Chem. Phys. 145, 044304, DOI: 10.1063/1.4955295 (2016).
- M. P. Ziemkiewicz, C. Pluetzer, M. Wojcik, J. Loreau, A. van der Avoird, and D. J. Nesbitt, “Near Infrared Overtone (vOH = 2 ¬ 0) Spectroscopy of Ne-H2O clusters,” J. Chem. Phys. 146, 104204 https://doi-org.colorado.idm.oclc.org/10.1063/1.4977061 (2017).
- M. D. Schuder, F. Wang, C.-H. Chang, and D. J. Nesbitt, “Sub-Doppler Infrared Spectroscopy of CH2OH Radical in a Slit Supersonic Jet: Vibration-Rotation-Tunneling Dynamics in the Symmetric CH Stretch Manifold,” J. Chem. Phys. 146, 194307 https://doi-org.colorado.idm.oclc.org/10.1063/1.4982803 (2017).
- M. P. Ziemkiewicz, C. Pluetzer, J. Loreau, A. van der Avoird, and D. J. Nesbitt, “Nuclear Spin/Parity Dependent Spectroscopy and Predissociation Dynamics in vOH = 2 ¬ 0 Overtone Excited Ne-H2O clusters: Theory and Experiment,” J. Chem. Phys. (2017).
- A. Kortyna, A. J. Samin, T. A. Miller and D. J. Nesbitt “Sub-Doppler infrared spectroscopy of resonance-stabilized hydrocarbon intermediates: ν3 (b2) and ν4 (a1) CH stretch modes and CH2 rotor tunneling dynamics of benzyl radical,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 19, 29812-298821 (2017).