The Office of Victim Assistance is a resource for people who have been in serious accidents which are incapacitating and seriously disrupt ones ability to function in the academic environment and have some type of police or criminal response . If one has a diability or a temporary injury or temporary medical condition due to the accident, Disability Services is an additional resource to consult with regarding current needs.

Explore your options

For content-specific information about reporting see below. For general information about reporting and the possibilities of working with systems visit our reporting page or visit OIEC's Don't Ignore It website.


You may already be involved with the police due to the accident. If you are not, but would like to be, try to preserve any evidence of the incident. This might include getting names of witnesses, saving emails, text messages or voice messages related to the accident as well as taking pictures of injuries, damage, or supporting materials. You can also get copies of relevant medical records. OVA can talk with you about reporting options and be an advocate for you throughout the process.

Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution 

If the accident was caused by a student the Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (SCCR) may be able to adjudicate the case. SCCR has an informal and formal resolution process and can put no contact orders in place. In cases of a formal process that a violation of the student code of conduct was found, SCCR will put in place sanctions through the university. Please go to the SCCR website to learn more about the SCCR process. To make a report to SCCR please contact them directly at 303-492-5550, make an online report, or contact OVA for advocacy in the reporting process. In addition SCCR offers opportunities for conflict resolution and restorative justice. If you are unsure about reporting, please contact OVA and we can talk through the various options/processes with you confidentially to assist you in your decision making process.

Being in an accident leading to serious injury can result in a range of impacts. Click here for a list of impacts. Practicing self care, taking care of basic needs (eating, sleeping, staying hydrated, exercise if able) and reaching out for support can make a difference. Informal support such as friends, family, and colleagues can be a great resource. In addition,OVA is free and confidential and here to be a resource for trauma-focused counseling, advocacy, informing one of their rights and options, safety planning and providing information, referrals, and consultation on additional campus and community resources.  Some things you might discuss when meeting with OVA include:

  • figuring out what you feel and think about what’s going on.
  • getting information that will help you assess the situation, and figure out what you want.
  • discussing your rights and reporting options.
  • talking about how to manage academics, or work given the situation.
  • talking about making a safety plan if applicable.
  • getting medical treatment if you have injuries or are worried about your health.
  • changing routines, assessing safety and impact.
  • discussing self-care and coping skills.

If you are worried about how this situation may be impacting your schoolwork, OVA is here to help. You deserve to be in school and to meet your goals. If you have experienced an injury or medical condition due to the accident the first step will be providing medical documentation to your professors to ask for what accomodations you may need. Click here for more information on academics and temporary injury or medical conditions. If you have a disability due to the accident you may qualify for accommodations through Disability Services. Some students may decide that they need to withdraw or take a semester off from school in order to heal. OVA can discuss all of these options with you and will support you in whatever you decide is best for you moving forward academically.