What is the difference between the tracks?

All tracks begin with a common set of introductory Math courses.

The Comprehensive track is the most general and flexible track, as it includes three upper division elective courses; the Comprehensive track also works well for students who are considering graduate study in Mathematics.

The Applicable track is intended to be a bit more applied/computational.  It includes courses that work well for students who are double majoring with a Natural Science, Social Science, or Engineering field, or for students who are interested in the Actuarial Studies and Quantitative Finance certificate programs.

The Secondary Education track is designed to line up with the requirements for becoming a secondary Math teacher in the state of Colorado.  Keep in mind that completing this track does not provide a student with a teaching license.  Teaching certification programs are offered through the School of Education.

The Computational Track, available beginning Fall 2012, is designed for students interested in computability theory or other areas of overlap between mathematics and computer science.

How can I get certified to teach high school mathematics?

All education certification programs are run by the School of Education.  Colorado certification in Secondary School Mathematics is one option.  Note: at the University of Colorado, it is not possible to major in Education as an undergraduate.

Who are good professors for my upper division classes?

This is a very common, but very subjective, question.  Different students have different opinions on what makes a good teacher.  You should start by talking with some of your peers: find out who they like and dislike, and (more importantly) why.  You can also consult past FCQ results for information.

Are Math majors exempted from any A&S Core requirements?

No.  However, the Calculus courses required for the major will fulfill the Quantitative Reasoning requirement.

Do Math classes fulfill any A&S Core requirements?

Any MATH class numbered 1300 or above will fulfill the Quantitative Reasoning Requirement.

Can I count APPM courses towards my Math major/minor?

You may count the Calculus sequence taught by Applied Math (APPM 1350, 1360, and 2350) for your Calculus requirement in the Math major or minor programs.  APPM courses will not fulfill the Linear Algebra requirement for the major.

Any other courses will only count if they are cross listed with MATH.  That is, all upper division MATH courses count, even if they happen to be cross listed with another department, but nothing else counts.

What are the deadlines for graduating?

For complete Math major graduation information, please visit the graduation policies & procedures page on this site.

What is the five year bachelors/masters program?

Just as it sounds, this is a program by which students may earn both a bachelors degree and a masters degree in Mathematics at the same time, completed over a 5-year span.  Through this program students may earn either a joint B.A./M.A. or B.A./M.S. Information packets and applications are available in MATH 260.   You can also download basic information on program requirements .

What is the Actuarial Studies Program?

The Actuarial Studies Certificate Program is designed to help students obtain the mathematical, economical, and financial expertise necessary to become actuaries --- the mathematical planners of the insurance and pension industries.  The Program is an interdisciplinary effort of the Departments of Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Economics, and the College of Business and Administration.  For further information, please visit the Actuarial Studies web site.

What are my options for picking up a minor?

The Academic Advising Center for the College of Arts and Sciences maintains a list of all programs offering minors to A&S majors.

Can I take lower division Math classes for credit?

The Calculus sequence, MATH 2001 (Discrete Math) and MATH 2135 fill up all the lower division Math hours needed for the Math major requirements.

After completing one semester of calculus with a grade of C or better, no Math major may receive credit in any mathematics course numbered below 1300.

Can Math majors study abroad?

Yes. Students hoping to go abroad for a semester will need to plan in advance, but it is absolutely possible. Many Math majors choose to save A&S Core (or general degree elective credits) and/or participate in a short-term program (during winter or summer break). The Math Education Abroad Guide provides information about how to plan for your time abroad. You will need to work with both your Math Advisor and Education Abroad Advisors throughout the program selection/pre-departure process.