Any CU student with a C average or better may be admitted to the program. Completion of a major in any discipline offered by the University of Colorado. Post bachelor students must have earned a degree from an accredited college or university.
To receive the Certificate in LGBTQ Studies, a student must fulfill the following requirements:
- 18 credit hours of acceptable course work from the certificate program list
- 9 credit hours must be upper division
- Students must receive a C or better in the accepted courses
- No pass/fail credits will count toward the requirements of the program
- LGBT 2000 – Introduction to LGBT Studies
- LGBT 3796 – Queer Theory
- Elective courses are listed each semester under the “courses” tab
- Students need a total of 12 hours of elective courses, with at least 6 hours of upper division electives
*Up to six credit hours of independent study may be applied toward the certificate program
*Credits earned at other institutions may be transferred in partial fulfillment of the requirements upon approval of the program Director. No more than 12 credit hours (6 upper division) of transferred course work may be applied to the certificate
Students will participate in supervised internships at university program and advocacy groups, local businesses, human service or government agencies. Internships will focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer issues, such as anti-violence programs, educational outreach, and civil rights initiatives. To register for the internship class, please fill out the A&S internship application: http://www.colorado.edu/advising/policies-procedures/forms-petitions. Bring completed form (with all required signatures) to Alicia Turchette at the Women and Gender Studies office, Hazel Gates Woodruff Cottage. Note: The Gender & Sexuality Center at CU Boulder sponsors 5 LGBTQ internships. Contact LGBTQ@colorado.edu for more information.
Self-directed research project in LGBTQ studies supervised by a faculty member and approved by one of the Co-Directors of the LGBT Studies Certificate Program