Sponsored by U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) and JPMorgan Chase
Improving the energy efficiency of chilled water plants is important since they account for about 35% the energy consumed by commercial building cooling equipment in the U.S. Model predictive control is a feasible way to enhance the operational efficiency of the chilled water plants. Our research is to develop a Python-based dynamic optimization platform that can perform continuous optimization for various control settings of chilled water plants. By using the Modelica modeling language, we can quickly model a chilled water plant with any system configurations and dynamically simulate its control behavior.
- S. Huang, A. Malara, W. Zuo, M. Sohn 2018. "A Bayesian Network Model for the Optimization of a Chiller Plant’s Condenser Water Set Point."Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 11(1), pp. 36-47.
- S. Huang, W. Zuo, M. Sohn 2018. "A Bayesian Network Model for Predicting Cooling Load of Commercial Buildings." Building Simulation, 11(1), pp. 87-101.
- S. Huang, W. Zuo, M. Sohn 2017. "Improved Cooling Tower Control of Legacy Chiller Plants by Optimizing the Condenser Water Set Point." Building and Environment, 111, pp. 33-46.
- S. Huang, W. Zuo, M. Sohn 2016. "Amelioration of the Cooling Load Based Chiller Sequencing Control." Applied Energy, 168, pp. 204-215.
- S. Huang, W. Zuo, M. D. Sohn 2016. “A Bayesian Network Model for Predicting the Cooling Load of Educational Facilities.” Proceedings of the ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA SimBuild 2016: Building Performance Modeling Conference, pp. 1-8, August 8-12, Salt Lake City, UT.
- S. Huang, M.V. Cavey, R. Sterling, W. Zuo, L. Helsen, A. Giretti, M. Bonvini, Z. O’Neill, M. Wetter, A. Costa, G. Boehme, R. Klein, B. Dong, M. M. Keane 2016. “IEA Annex 60 Activity 2.3: Model Use During Operation, Approach and Case Studies.” Proceedings of the 12th REHVA World Congress (CLIMA2016), May 22-25, Aalborg, Denmark.
- S. Huang, W. Zuo, M. D. Sohn 2015. “A New Method for the Optimal Chiller Sequencing Control.” Proceedings of the 14th Conference of International Building Performance Simulation Association (Building Simulation 2015), pp. 316-323, December 7-9, Hyderabad, India.
- A. C. L. Malara, S. Huang, W. Zuo, M. D. Sohn, N. Celik 2015. “Optimal Control of Chiller Plants Using Bayesian Network.” Proceedings of the 14th Conference of International Building Performance Simulation Association (Building Simulation 2015), pp. 449-455, December 7-9, Hyderabad, India.
- T. Li, G. Shao, W. Zuo, S. Huang 2015. “Genetic Algorithm for Building Optimization - State-Of-The-Art Survey.” Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (ISHVAC) and the 3rd International Conference on Building Energy and Environment (COBEE), pp. 205-210, July 12-15, Tianjin, China.
- S. Huang, W. Zuo 2014. “Optimization of the Water-Cooled Chiller Plant System Operation.” Proceedings of the 2014 ASHRAE/IBPSA-USA Building Simulation Conference, pp. 300-307, September 10-12, Atlanta, GA.