CLEAR conducts research in linguistics, education, and computer science. Center projects include:
- Adaptive assessment and intervention for reading difficulties
- The development of increasingly rich linguistic annotation schemes that can serve as training and evaluation data for machine learning
- Information extraction and natural language understanding using semantic role labeling and co-reference resolution,
- Spoken language processing and dialog understanding
- Human-computer interaction using animated agents or customizable interfaces.
These projects have led to a wide variety of systems including some for language acquisition skills, tutoring and therapy, tools for question answering and navigating the web, and for learning and presentation of science topics ranging from plate tectonics to acoustics.