We welcome graduates of the 2018-2019 academic year to the Spring 2019 International Affairs graduation ceremony with reception immediately following. Thursday, May 9th, 2019, 5:00 - 6:00pm, University Memorial Center (UMC) - Glenn Miller Ballroom.
There is no International Affairs Program departmental commencement ceremony for Fall/December graduates. There is no University-wide Fall/December commencement ceremony. Other departments may have a ceremony (see here for details). We advise you walk in the spring either before or after you graduate. Speak with your academic advisor if you have questions.
The information below is in regards to our Spring Graduation Cermony, open to all IAFS graduates:
If you want to livestream the All-School University of Colorado Commencement ceremony, which begins at 8:30am, click here. For the International Affairs Program Recognication ceremony, there will not be a livestream available, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Doors to the ballroom open 30 minutes before the ceremony starts, please refrain from entering the ballroom beforehand, since we are still setting up.
- Our ceremony is one hour long
- No tickets needed for the ceremony
- Parking on campus is limited during this day
- We encourage you to consider off-campus parking and walking or taking a bus onto campus. There will be a great deal of traffic near and on-campus
- If you need to park on campus, the Euclid AutoPark is the closest to the UMC building
- For ADA parking, consider Lot 204 for proximity to the UMC building
- All campus parking during commencement are complimentar
- Parking details here.
- On the CU online campus map, you can see the various areas for departmental ceremonies. By clicking on the "spring commencement" checkbox, additional information including links to specific ceremonies will appear. You can filter by date (Thurs, Fri, Sat). Click here to view
- For information on the main University of Colorado commencement ceremony, and other department recognition ceremonies, please visit this website
Student Ceremony Information
Arrive to the UMC no later than 15 minutes before ceremony start time. When you arrive, do the following:
- Go to the main hallway table and write your name on an index card and keep this with you throughout the ceremony
- Line up in the hallway (not alphabetical)
- You will enter together, lead by the faculty
- Graduate seating is in a designated area
Fall graduates: There is no ceremony for Fall/December commencement for the department or the university. We advise you walk in the spring either before or after you graduate.
Cap & Gown
This is a formal commencement event and graduates are encouraged to wear cap and gown.
- Ceremony regalia can be purchased online at the CU Bookstore website, or in person in the Bookstore beginning mid-March (exact date noted on the CU Bookstore website). Please note, since IAFS is within the College of Arts & Sciences, you are required to purchase a white tassel. Further details on purchasing your regalia can be found here
- Short on cash? Here are some other options for getting a cap and gown for the IAFS ceremony:
- If only attending departmental ceremonies that are not at the same time, consider sharing with a friend (but get the correct tassel at the CU Bookstore)
- Find a friend who graduated last year that is selling their cap and gown (buy your tassel separately at the CU Bookstore)
- Find one secondhand, such as on Craigslist (CU cap and gown are black; buy your tassel separately at the CU Bookstore)
- Cap and gown is not required for the IAFS Graduation Ceremony, however nearly all graduates will wear regalia since we strongly encourage it
- Students will not receive your official diploma in this ceremony. Students will receive a placeholder, and their official diploma will be mailed to them (the permanent address they have on file according to the Registrar's office) when they have completed their degree.
- For information on the main University of Colorado commencement ceremony, and other department recognition ceremonies, please visit this website.
- Also, check out the CU Pregraduation Checklist
- Questions about the IAFS ceremony? Call 303-492-7295 or email email@example.com