Published: July 28, 2020
Black and white headshot of Anthony

Anthony Pinter is a fourth year PhD student studying Information Science. His research focuses on how people "do" identity online, particularly in times of identity change -- to do this, he explores how people change their social media presence(s) and activity in the midst of and after a romantic break-up. Anthony was recently awarded a Teaching Excellence Award based on his teaching philosophy and dedication to his students. We asked Anthony a few questions to learn more about him as a teacher and get to know him better. Read more below!

What is your favorite part about teaching?

I enjoy every aspect of teaching, but I particularly love the energy that I get from being in the classroom. I love connecting with students and facilitating their learning journey in my courses.

Please tell us a little bit about your pedagogical philosophy.

My pedagogical practice draws heavily on my experience as a high school coach -- as a result, I believe that the best kind of learning results from doing. To this end, I emphasize hands-on practice in my classrooms, and encourage students to try things for themselves even if they might fail, because even failure offers an opportunity to learn.

Do you have a favorite teaching resource you would like to share with other graduate teachers?

While not a "resource", per-se, I find that I learn so much from watching others teach -- so I would encourage other graduate teachers to visit other departments and watch educators from other disciplines teach. There's often interesting pedagogical approaches in one discipline that could translate well into another, and even watching another individual teach provides space for reflection on one's own teaching and pedagogical practice.

Tell us a fun fact about you that is not related to your teaching and research.

I train and compete in long-distance mountain bike races -- this year, I'm planning a 142-mile ride from Boulder to Winter Park and back in a single day.

What is a good book you have read recently and why did you enjoy it?

I've recently been working my way through "The Only Rule Is It Has To Work" by Ben Lindbergh and Sam Miller, which is about the authors' use of advanced stats to build and run a real baseball team. I love reading/watching things about interesting sports or approaches to sports, and so this book was right up my alley in that respect.

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead), who would it be and why?

Kurt Vonnegut -- I'd be keen on hearing what he thinks about the world as it is today.