Course Audit FAQ
- What is the FCQ course audit?
- What are the differences between the different types of files?
- Isn’t the course audit information already accessible in CU-SIS/Campus Solutions?
- How long does it take for changes to show up in the course audit files?
- Why are there default run dates and how are they calculated?
- When to contact the FCQ program about my course audit file?
- How do I update information in CU-SIS/Campus Solutions?
- What are common reasons why a class won’t receive FCQs?
- What are the challenges for classes with multiple meeting patterns?
Generally, the “course audit” refers to the process of scheduling, reviewing and updating which classes receive FCQs and when they will be administered. This includes the course audit files and the course audit window.
What are course audit files?
The course audit files are Excel spreadsheets generated by the FCQ program for reviewing your department’s course and instructor FCQ information. We run an initial audit prior to the beginning of each semester and update the audit files each Friday throughout the semester.
What is the course audit window?
The course audit window is a three-week period during which we run daily updates of the course audit files. We strongly encourage folks to review how their classes are set up during this window.
- File names beginning with “audit(term)_” and ending with a department abbreviation (e.g., audit2231_CUDEN_ENGR_D-BIOE) are department-specific.
- File names beginning with “audit(term)_” and ending with a campus abbreviation (e.g., audit2231_campusBD) are campus-specific.
- The file named “audit(term)_all” The audit(term)_all.xlsx file (e.g., audit2231_all.xlsx) contains class information for the CU Boulder, Denver and Anschutz campuses.
Yes, but the interface is slow and only allows for viewing one class at a time. The course audit files allow you to look at all classes at once.
The data warehouse refreshes each business day and will pick up any changes made by 5 p.m. the previous business day.
The audit files will update after we’ve run our code to pull the most recent data. On days that we update the audit files (each Friday, plus daily during the course audit window), we should have the audit files updated by noon.
With more than 15,000 classes to evaluate for FCQs each semester, it’s not possible to manually determine eligibility and assign a custom run date. Our code first determines eligibility and then assigns a default run date based on the CU-SIS end date of the class.
- Classes that run the full term – or short courses that end in conjunction with the end of the 15-week semester – are evaluated from the Monday of week 14 through the Tuesday of week 15.
- Classes that don’t run the full term and end before the final administration window are evaluated the week of their final class (with the exception of classes ending on Monday or Tuesday, which are evaluated the previous week).
For specific windows, please see the FCQ calendar.
No contact required if:
- Course audit information is correct
- By default, FCQs will be generated for all classes/instructors with a “YES” in the “Admin_FCQs” column. If everything in your course audit looks correct, you don’t need to do anything.
- Course or instructor information in CU-SIS/Campus Solutions needs to be updated for a class not currently in an active administration
- You’ll need to make these changes in CU-SIS, and they will get picked up automatically in the next audit.
Contact FCQ program if:
- Course or instructor information in CU-SIS/Campus Solutions needs to be updated for a class currently in an active administration
- Need to change administration dates to something other than the default window
- It’s been two or more business days since you made changes in CU-SIS/Campus Solutions and they are still not reflected in the course audit file
Editing permissions in CU-SIS/Campus Solutions are tightly controlled. It’s possible that the only person in your department with that capability is your curriculum manager. If you do not have editing permissions in CU-SIS, you’ll need to work with your curriculum manager to make any required changes.
Neither the FCQ program, nor the Office of Data Analytics, has editing permissions to change the information in CU-SIS/Campus Solutions. We are only able to pull the information that the curriculum manager has entered and compile it in the course audit files.
There are a number of possibilities, but most often, it’s for one or more of the following reasons:
- An instructor is not listed in CU-SIS/Campus Solutions
- Sched_Print box not checked
- Class enrollment is less than three students
- Class type is not eligible for evaluation
- Class runs later than the date that semester grades are posted
- Class runs across more than one semester
- Meeting dates not listed chronologically
- Instructors not included in all meeting dates
- Sched_Print box not checked for instructor in all meeting dates
- Nontraditional meeting patterns